Thinking about what to study in graduate school as an undergraduate

In summary, the conversation is about choosing a field for graduate school. One person admits to having no idea what they want to study, while another suggests looking at research sites and reading papers to find interests. They also mention that it's not necessary to have a dissertation idea already, but having some direction can be helpful. Another person shares their experience of choosing a subject on a whim and being happy with it, rather than stressing over making the perfect choice.
penzoate
As an undergraduate, did any of you know what you wanted to studied in graduate school. I have absolutely no idea what I want to studied once I begin graduate school. Was there something that caused you to go into a certain direction in a physics field. I guess most people get there inspirations for studying a certain field by acquiring knowledge about the field and the field would have to interest them. What are some other suggestions that I should excecute that will guide you into the field that you find interests you without being intimidate by reading those physics journals that nobody can read but people who understand gibberish

Physics news on Phys.org
most people have some idea, they at least know if they want to do experimental or theoretical work. the best thing to do is look around at the research sites for different physics programs, maybe read some papers, find out what research interests you. you don't need to have your phd dissertation picked out, but grad schools want to see that you have some direction before making an investment in you.

I'm starting graduate school this fall, I just picked the subject (complex analysis) on a whim. I like it, and this way I save time on an existential crisis. I figure I'll be happy no matter what I choose, so why torture myself over it?

Good job, Gunnihinn. 'Tis better to do a good thing now than the perfect thing tomorrow.

Related to Thinking about what to study in graduate school as an undergraduate

1. What factors should I consider when deciding what to study in graduate school as an undergraduate?

There are several important factors to consider when deciding what to study in graduate school as an undergraduate. These include your interests, career goals, academic strengths, and the availability of programs in your desired field. It is also important to research the job market and potential earning opportunities for graduates in your chosen field.

2. Is it better to pursue a master's degree or a PhD program?

This decision ultimately depends on your career goals and personal preferences. A master's degree typically takes 1-2 years to complete and is focused on a specific area of study, while a PhD program can take 4-6 years and involves original research and a dissertation. If you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, a PhD may be a better option. However, if you are seeking a more specialized skill set for a specific industry, a master's degree may be more beneficial.

3. How important are research opportunities in undergraduate studies for graduate school?

Research experience is highly valued by graduate schools, especially for PhD programs. It demonstrates your ability to think critically, work independently, and contribute to the advancement of knowledge in your field. However, if research opportunities are not available, there are other ways to showcase your skills and interests, such as through coursework, internships, or extracurricular activities.

4. Should I choose a program based on its reputation or its fit for my interests?

Both factors are important to consider when choosing a graduate program. A reputable program may provide more opportunities and resources, but it is also important to find a program that aligns with your specific interests and goals. It is also beneficial to research the faculty and their areas of expertise, as they will be your mentors and guides throughout your graduate studies.

5. How should I prepare for the application process for graduate school?

The application process for graduate school can be competitive, so it is important to start preparing early. This may include studying for standardized tests, gathering letters of recommendation, and writing a strong personal statement. It is also important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for each program you are interested in applying to.