Thoughts on Space/Time and Gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses some thoughts on space theory and its relation to time. There is a mention of the expansion of space and how it affects time. The concept of gravity as a curvature of space/time is also mentioned, with the idea that matter restricts the movement of space/time. The conversation ends with a reminder to avoid discussing personal theories and instead look into the more technical aspects of General Relativity.
Manosapien
Some of my thoughts on space theory. I see many similarities between space/time and water. Just how they both move and flow. Only one thing is faster than light and that is the expansion of space/time it self. We have discovered that space is expanding faster and faster. This is the reason why time is always moving forward since the the two are connected. Einstein stated that gravity is matters curvature of space/time. To go beyond that, I think that gravity is matters restriction of space/times movement. In normal empty space time ticks faster than here on Earth. I think matter is sort of pinching space/time, making it expand/tick a little slower. At gravities extreme a black hole, you can see this effect much clearer since they say if you park a spaceship next to a black hole its clock would almost come to a stop. So this must mean space is almost coming to a stop.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Please be aware that PF rules do not allow personal theories. We would be happy to explain current published theories such as General Relativity, but we cannot discuss you own personal one. (Which doesn't quite match up with observations and accepted theories) If you would like to learn more about it then head to the 3 subforums on Astronomy, Astrophysics, and Cosmology and read the FAQ's there or do a search for other related items. There is also the General Relativity subforum as well.

oh sorry. I saw the general relativity section but thought I could post in this section also since it was general physics. Just curious what part doesn't match up with observations?

Manosapien said:
oh sorry. I saw the general relativity section but thought I could post in this section also since it was general physics. Just curious what part doesn't match up with observations?

I guess it isn't really about matching the observations, but more about the interpretations of what spacetime is and how it works. Saying it "flows" and "moves" and such doesn't really match up with what General Relativity says. It's hard to explain as I'm not an expert on GR. Spacetime experiences "curvature" as many call it, but what that's really talking about is how the geometry of it changes I believe. I'd suggest looking into the more technical aspects of GR and if you have specific questions then feel free to ask. Just try to refrain from posting your personal "interpretations" of what spacetime is doing and you should be fine.

I find the comparison between space/time and water to be an interesting analogy. However, it is important to note that while both may exhibit flow and movement, they are fundamentally different in nature. Space/time is a fundamental aspect of our universe, while water is a physical substance that can be observed and measured.

The concept of the expansion of space/time is a well-established phenomenon in cosmology. It is believed to have started with the Big Bang and has been accelerating since then. This expansion is the reason for the observed redshift of galaxies and the increasing distance between them. It is also the reason why time appears to be moving forward, as you mentioned.

Einstein's theory of general relativity provides a framework for understanding the relationship between gravity and space/time. According to this theory, gravity is not a force between objects, but rather the curvature of space/time caused by the presence of matter. Your idea of matter "pinching" space/time and slowing its expansion is an interesting concept, but it is important to note that gravity is not just a restriction on the movement of space/time, but rather a fundamental aspect of it.

The phenomenon of time dilation near massive objects, such as black holes, is well-supported by both theoretical predictions and experimental evidence. The extreme gravity of a black hole causes a significant distortion in the fabric of space/time, resulting in a slowing of time for an observer outside of the black hole. This is why time appears to almost come to a stop for an outside observer, as you mentioned.

Overall, your thoughts on space/time and gravity are intriguing and show a good understanding of these complex concepts. However, it is important to continue exploring and researching these ideas to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental nature of our universe.

Related to Thoughts on Space/Time and Gravity

1. What is the relationship between space and time?

The relationship between space and time is often described as inseparable and interdependent. Space and time are considered to be dimensions in which objects and events exist and occur. According to Einstein's theory of General Relativity, space and time are unified in a four-dimensional space-time fabric.

2. How does gravity affect space and time?

Gravity is the force that warps and curves space-time. The presence of massive objects, such as planets and stars, causes a curvature in space-time, which is what we experience as gravity. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger the gravitational pull and the greater the curvature of space-time around it.

3. Can time travel be possible?

According to current scientific understanding, time travel is not possible. The laws of physics, including the theory of relativity, do not allow for backward time travel. However, some theories, such as the concept of a "wormhole," suggest that time travel could be possible in the distant future with the use of advanced technology.

4. How does the concept of space-time impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of space-time has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It allows us to explain phenomena such as gravity, black holes, and the expansion of the universe. It also helps us understand the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the presence of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Is it possible to understand the concept of space-time without advanced mathematics?

While advanced mathematics is often used to describe and understand the concept of space-time, it is possible to have a basic understanding without it. Concepts such as the warping of space-time and the relationship between space and time can be understood through thought experiments and simplified explanations. However, to fully comprehend the complexities of space-time, advanced mathematical concepts are necessary.