Time constant question in an AQA exam paper

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of "time constant" in relation to a problem involving a variable resistor and a capacitor. The maximum value of the resistor was stated as 100 kΩ, and there was confusion about the wording of the problem. Ultimately, it was determined that the number of readings that could be taken depended on the initial conditions and the assumption made about the initial state. The answer was determined to be 6 readings, with the possibility of other valid answers based on different values for resistance and current.
bonbon22
Homework Statement
Determine the number of different readings the student will be able to take before the
capacitor becomes fully charged.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/physics/AQA-74083A-SQP.PDF
question 2.5
image below
Relevant Equations
Time constant = resistance * capatiance

I assumed that i had to take 5 time constants which would give the time taken to charge fully i assume then divide by 10 giving me a total number of readings of 34 ,
the answer is 6
yet they only used a single time constant to determine the number of readings? as this give me an answer of 68 or 6.8 readings therefore 6

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The concept of "time constant" is not very relevant to this problem since the resistance is continually varied during the charging process.

Some things you might want to consider:

(1) What is the final charge on the capacitor?

(2) In order for the current to remain constant, does the resistance need to be increased or decreased during the charging process?

I wasn't sure of the wording of the problem. It says, "The variable resistor has a maximum value of 100 kΩ". I guess that this means that during the charging process, the maximum value of the resistance of the resistor is 100 kΩ.

Likes bonbon22
I find the following part of the question most interesting "... a suitable ammeter reading".
Another poorly worded homework question (sigh). Suppose you initially adjust the resistance to zero, then there are zero readings taken (or maybe 1, I'm not sure how fast they think you are, LOL). So, you are forced to make an assumption about the initial state. I like TSny's version, the resistor maximum is 100Kohm, because any other value seems completely arbitrary. Would it really be so hard to clearly and explicitly state the initial conditions when asking a question about how a circuit responds?
Why I hate these computerized tests: They force you to input a number when an equation is the only good answer. (ie. number of measurement vs, initial current setting). So you have to guess how the question should have been written.

Last edited:
Likes CWatters and bonbon22
One could (weakly) argue that when the question is asked as to determine "the number of different reading the student be able to take", the intended meaning is to find the maximum number of readings possible, before the capacitor is fully charged to 6V .

Of course, that requires starting with the maximum resistance available.

Likes DaveE and bonbon22
Do they expect you to know equations like

Q=VC
and so
I=CdV/dt

For this paper?

If so then rearrange I=CdV/dt to give

dt=CdV/I.....(1)

Then you have to assume the current I starts and stays at 6V/100kOhms. If you substitute values into equation 1 you find things cancel and give dt=68seconds or 6.8 sample periods.

Aside: Feeding a constant current into a capacitor is a standard way to generate a triangle wave.

Likes bonbon22
cheers everyone i get it now, current is constant as the question stated and its a variable resistor so i can't use the time constant equation. 5RC doesn't work here . So i would have went for some other method.

I note this isn't just a badly worded homework question. This is a badly worded exam question that could determine if your/my child gets into university. I'm shocked.

CWatters said:
I note this isn't just a badly worded homework question. This is a badly worded exam question that could determine if your/my child gets into university. I'm shocked.
this is a specimen paper so its not an actual paper aqa give out to students. Speciman papers have a reputation for having mistakes or werid questions for any exam borad as the question making go through a smaller team of people. I wouldn't worry too much about that most of the papers are pretty fair tbh. If your child works harder than every other student since grade boundaries determine grades then they'll get into university

I thought about this question more overnight. If the marking scheme gives full marks for any reasonable value of R, I and the corresponding number of samples then it's not an unreasonable question.

For example setting R to 60k giving I=0.1mA and 40.8s or 4 samples should also be a valid answer as it doesn't ask for the maximum number of possible samples.

CWatters said:
I thought about this question more overnight. If the marking scheme gives full marks for any reasonable value of R, I and the corresponding number of samples then it's not an unreasonable question.

For example setting R to 60k giving I=0.1mA and 40.8s or 4 samples should also be a valid answer as it doesn't ask for the maximum number of possible samples.
the answer was 6

Related to Time constant question in an AQA exam paper

1. What is the time constant in an AQA exam paper?

The time constant in an AQA exam paper refers to the duration of the exam, which is typically between 1-2 hours depending on the subject. It is the amount of time students have to complete the exam and is usually stated at the beginning of the paper.

2. How is the time constant calculated in an AQA exam paper?

The time constant in an AQA exam paper is calculated by multiplying the number of questions in the exam by the average time it takes to answer each question. For example, if there are 50 questions and the average time to answer each question is 2 minutes, the time constant would be 100 minutes.

3. What happens if I exceed the time constant in an AQA exam paper?

If you exceed the time constant in an AQA exam paper, you may not have enough time to complete all of the questions. It is important to manage your time effectively during the exam to ensure you have enough time to answer all of the questions.

4. Can I request extra time for the AQA exam paper due to a disability?

Yes, you can request extra time for the AQA exam paper if you have a documented disability that affects your ability to complete the exam in the designated time. You will need to provide evidence of your disability and request accommodations from the exam board in advance.

5. Is the time constant the same for all AQA exam papers?

No, the time constant may vary for different AQA exam papers. Some subjects may have longer or shorter exams depending on the content and structure of the exam. It is important to check the time constant for each exam you are taking to ensure you have enough time to complete it.