Time dilation from galactic gravitational mass

In summary, there is a negligible relativistic effect between the center of the galaxy and the outside, which cannot explain the size of the "delta" in galactic acceleration. Effects of speeds of this order magnitude are measurable in experiments, but are of a similar order of magnitude to the effects of gravitational time dilation on the applicable scales.
marcosdb said:
Wouldn't the change in gravitational potential be significantly different for a 3D sphere (where the mass is evenly distributed in 3-space and as we move in 3 dimensions, the calculation is ^3) vs a flat surface (where the mass isn't evenly distributed in 3-space and so it's ^2)?
You can get a feel for the difference by just looking at the Newtonian case -- where the non-relativistic gravitation (Poisson) equations are solved for various mass distributions. This is explained in considerable detail at Bovy's Galactic Dynamics Online Book, especially ch8 et. seq.

• Informative
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
strangerep said:
I wouldn't call it "solid". Not at all. See the Deur thread over in BTSM.
In the context of this thread I was merely meaning that it was a fleshed-out mathematical proposal from a serious physicist, as opposed to the "hey wouldn't it be cool if..." idea in this thread which can be dismissed with an order of magnitude calculation. I suspect I'm not qualified to have an opinion on Deur's idea's plausibility.

Likes Dale and PeroK
Ibix said:
In the context of this thread I was merely meaning that it was a fleshed-out mathematical proposal from a serious physicist, [...]
I don't think it's "fleshed out".

But I hope other people here with good proficiency in GR will take a closer look at it, and offer their well-considered opinions on this point. :oldsmile:

marcosdb said:
The fact that "dark matter" is proportional to the visible mass is
This is not a fact. The mass-to-light ratio for galaxies varies by quite a bit: more than a factor of about 5.

Vanadium 50 said:
This is not a fact. The mass-to-light ratio for galaxies varies by quite a bit: more than a factor of about 5.
Another missuse of "proportionality" :(

Well, you can always divide any two quantities A by B and say "look, they are proportional!" Just not sure where that gets you.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
So the claim is that even with a difference in mass density on the order of 10^8 between the region of the core of the galaxy and the solar neighborhood for example, the difference in time dilation and length expansion is negligible. Hard to believe.

• Skeptical
Likes Vanadium 50, weirdoguy and PeroK
Musant said:
Hard to believe.
You don't have to "believe". You can do the math and see. Or you could just read the earlier posts in this thread where the math is already done.

Likes Ibix and jbriggs444
Musant said:
So the claim is that even with a difference in mass density on the order of 10^8 between the region of the core of the galaxy and the solar neighborhood for example, the difference in time dilation and length expansion is negligible. Hard to believe.
Perhaps you've watched Interstellar too many times.

PeterDonis said:
You don't have to "believe". You can do the math and see. Or you could just read the earlier posts in this thread where the math is already done.
The time dilation factor I had seen previously, and the one I usually consider is simply SQRT(1-2GM/(rc^2)).

Question for you: In a time dilated reference frame where the time units of c are dilated, shouldn't one also expand units length such that c remains constant? If so, wouldn't the radius term in the expression for time dilation factor be a function rather than a constant?

Musant said:
The time dilation factor I had seen previously, and the one I usually consider is simply SQRT(1-2GM/(rc^2)).
This is for a single spherically symmetric gravitating body. As was already pointed out earlier in the thread (which, btw, is almost two years old), a galaxy does not even come close to meeting that description.

Musant said:
In a time dilated reference frame where the time units of c are dilated
What does this even mean?

PeterDonis said:
This is for a single spherically symmetric gravitating body. As was already pointed out earlier in the thread (which, btw, is almost two years old), a galaxy does not even come close to meeting that description.

What does this even mean?
I apologize if that wasn't clear. The units of c are, for example, in meters per second. Time dilation affects the length of a second. We assume that light always travels the same number of meters per second in a vacuum. So if the second is longer, then light would travel a greater number of meters in that longer interval. It follows that when time is dilated, length should also 'dilate' in order that the constant c remain constant. But, I'm happy to be shown the error in that logic. Thank you for your courteous replies.

Musant said:
Time dilation affects the length of a second.
No, it doesn't. Time dilation amounts to a comparison of arc lengths along different timelike worldlines. Those arc lengths are measured in the same seconds along both worldlines.

Musant said:
I'm happy to be shown the error in that logic.
Your starting premise is wrong. See above.

PeterDonis said:
No, it doesn't. Time dilation amounts to a comparison of arc lengths along different timelike worldlines. Those arc lengths are measured in the same seconds along both worldlines.

Your starting premise is wrong. See above.
But you might find that the two things 'amount' to the same.

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Musant said:
But you might find that the two things 'amount' to the same.
No, you won't.

At this point I am closing the thread since we are already off topic, and it's two years old anyway. @Musant, I would strongly encourage learning more about how relativity actually works.