Time Operator in Standard Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, there is no time operator in standard quantum mechanics, but there have been proposals for time operators in some formulations of relativistic quantum mechanics. However, these formulations have faced challenges and it is not clear if they are consistent or accurate. There is a well-established approach that unifies the principles of relativity and quantum mechanics without a time operator, but it does not satisfy the condition of manifest covariance. The idea of having time and position on equal footing in a relativistic setting is still debated and there is no clear consensus on which approach is most desirable.
CPL.Luke
is there a time operator (not the time evolution operator) in standard qm?

I'm a bit curious as while it might not matter all that much for non-relativistic qm it seems as if it would be important to have some measure of a the probability that a particle is at a given place and time.

If I had to guess at one I'd say that its something like i (partial with respect to t) in the position basis.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah I've seen that derivation before, however it seems that while that may be the only implication for non-relativistic stuff, in order to treat the time observable in a relativistic picture you would need a time operator, more so it should be related to the energy operator i partial with respect to t as that would make a nice translation to four momentum and four position.

In non-relativistic QM, time is a parameter while position is an operator. Since we expect the two quantities to be on an equal footing relativistically, there are two things we can do to modify QM before generalizing it to a relativistic setting:

1. Demote position to a parameter. Then operators become functions of both space and time, ie, fields. This leads to quantum field theory, and is the standard approach.

2. Promote time to an operator. You still need a parameter for the wavefunction to evolve over, which can be taken as proper time or left arbitrary, giving the theory a reparametrization gauge symmetry that must be dealt with. Many particles and interactions among them become a little tricky to handle. But generalizing the single parameter to two parameters (ie, making the 1D worldline a 2D worldsheet) gives a nice path to string theory.

so have there been good formulations of relativistic qm with time as an operator?

or have all of these formulations fallen short and become inconsistent or inaccurate?

StatusX said:
In non-relativistic QM, time is a parameter while position is an operator. Since we expect the two quantities to be on an equal footing relativistically, there are two things we can do to modify QM before generalizing it to a relativistic setting:

1. Demote position to a parameter. Then operators become functions of both space and time, ie, fields. This leads to quantum field theory, and is the standard approach.

2. Promote time to an operator. You still need a parameter for the wavefunction to evolve over, which can be taken as proper time or left arbitrary, giving the theory a reparametrization gauge symmetry that must be dealt with. Many particles and interactions among them become a little tricky to handle. But generalizing the single parameter to two parameters (ie, making the 1D worldline a 2D worldsheet) gives a nice path to string theory.

You seem to believe that relativistic invariance implies certain equivalence between time and position, so that they both should be either parameters or operators. However, I don't think there is a convincing proof of such an equivalence. On the contrary, there exists a well-established approach (Wigner, 1939; Dirac, 1949) in which the principle of relativity and quantum mechanics are unified within the theory of unitary representations of the Poincare group. In this approach the relativistic operator of coordinate (Newton-Wigner, 1949) happily coexists with time described as a classical parameter.

Eugene.

Luke,
Like I said, string theory, as it's typically formulated, has time as an operator. Specifically, the (non-interacting, bosonic) theory is a 2D field theory with fields [itex]X^\mu[/itex], including time, [itex]X^0[/itex]. As a warmup in textbooks, they usually look at the 1D case first, which reduces to ordinary free field theory. I haven't seen much else of the this approach, but, for example, in his QFT text Srednicki says "promoting time to an operator is a viable option, but is complicated in practice".

Eugene,
I'm not saying it's strictly necessary for them to be on the same footing, but it is required if we'd like our theory to be manifestly lorentz invariant, since lorentz transformations mix the space and time coordinates.

Last edited:
StatusX said:
Eugene,
I'm not saying it's strictly necessary for them to be on the same footing, but it is required if we'd like our theory to be manifestly lorentz invariant, since lorentz transformations mix the space and time coordinates.

Do we really like our theory to be manifestly lorentz covariant with "mixed" space and time coordinates? Perhaps it is sufficient to have "relativistic invariance" in the Wigner-Dirac sense, i.e., to have the Poincare commutation relations satisfied? These two conditions (the "manifest covariance" and the "relativistic invariance") are not equivalent. The "manifest covariance" condition is too restrictive, and I don't think it can be rigorously derived from the principle of relativity or Poincare group properties. There is no harm if this condition is dropped.

Eugene.

however a formuation which manifestly handles relativity would probably be easier to generalize and also a bit more elegant in theory than a formulation which was merely constructed to be covariant.

CPL.Luke said:
however a formuation which manifestly handles relativity would probably be easier to generalize and also a bit more elegant in theory than a formulation which was merely constructed to be covariant.

I agree about the "ease" and "elegance" of the manifestly covariant formulation of relativity. This path was followed during last 100 years of its development. This path led us to the contradiction with quantum mechanics that you mentioned in the beginning: in QM position is an Hermitian operator and time is a parameter, i.e., the manifest covariance is lost. In this situation the "ease" and "elegance" argument does not look so convincing.

Eugene.

Related to Time Operator in Standard Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is the time operator in standard quantum mechanics?

The time operator in standard quantum mechanics is a mathematical operator that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It is represented by the variable t in the Schrödinger equation and is used to calculate the time evolution of the wave function of a quantum system.

2. How does the time operator work?

The time operator works by acting on the wave function of a quantum system, which represents the state of the system at a specific time. It takes into account the Hamiltonian of the system, which contains information about the potential and kinetic energy of the particles in the system, to calculate the future state of the system at a later time.

3. What is the importance of the time operator in quantum mechanics?

The time operator is crucial in quantum mechanics as it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. It helps us understand how particles interact and evolve in the quantum world, and it is the basis for many important equations and principles in quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. Can the time operator be measured in experiments?

No, the time operator cannot be measured directly in experiments. This is because time is not an observable quantity in quantum mechanics. Instead, it is treated as a parameter in equations, and the results of experiments are used to confirm the predictions of the time operator.

5. Are there different versions of the time operator in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are different versions of the time operator in different formulations of quantum mechanics, such as the Heisenberg picture and the Schrödinger picture. These versions differ in how they treat time and how they calculate the time evolution of a quantum system, but they ultimately lead to the same predictions and results.