Time period of a conical pendulum by D'Alembert's principle

In summary, the time period of a conical pendulum is 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{r}{g\tan\theta}}. I need to arrive at this result starting from the D'Alembert's principle.
justwild

Homework Statement

Finding the time period of a conical pendulum by D'Alembert's principle. The string is of a constant length and all dissipations are to be ignored.

Homework Equations

The time period of a conical pendulum is [itex]2\pi \sqrt{\frac{r}{g\tan\theta}}[/itex]. I need to arrive at this result starting from the D'Alembert's principle.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume a cylindrical coordinates system whose origin coincides with the fulcrum of the pendulum. Thus, for the conical pendulum with constant string length, the acceleration of the particle would be
[itex]\ddot{\vec{r}}=\ddot{\rho}\hat{\rho}+\rho\ddot{\phi}\hat{\phi}[/itex].
Now the virtual displacement can be given as
[itex]\delta\vec{r}=\rho\delta\phi\hat{\phi}[/itex].
And the force acting on the particle as [itex]\vec{F}=-mg\hat{z}[/itex].

Now if I substitute all these in the D'Alembert's principle, I won't be able to calculate the time period from there. This is obvious because the virtual displacement does not contain the [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] term and due to the dot product, the expression won't include any [itex]g[/itex] term which is necessary because the result does contain the [itex]g[/itex] term.
I am out of ideas for now and I would appreciate anyone from the PF helping me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, justwild.

What about virtual displacements in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction. For acceleration in spherical coordinates see here.

TSny said:
What about virtual displacements in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction.
I don't understand. Even if I assume a spherical coordinates system why would there be a component of acceleration in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction?
Isn't ##\theta## supposed to remain constant during the motion?

justwild said:
I don't understand. Even if I assume a spherical coordinates system why would there be a component of acceleration in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction?
Isn't ##\theta## supposed to remain constant during the motion?

Yes, for the particular solution that you are considering θ will remain constant. However, in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Alembert's_principle]d'Alembert's[/PLAIN] principle you can consider any virtual displacement that doesn't violate the physical constraint of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Use Cartesian co-ordinates. Take the length of the string=constant to be the constraint eq. Find delta(z).
Substitute values in d'alemberts', put delta (z).
You'll be able to find the time period

Related to Time period of a conical pendulum by D'Alembert's principle

What is a conical pendulum?

A conical pendulum is a type of pendulum that swings in a circular motion rather than back and forth. It consists of a weight or bob attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point.

How is the time period of a conical pendulum calculated?

The time period of a conical pendulum is calculated using D'Alembert's principle, which states that the sum of the forces acting on a body in motion must equal the mass of the body multiplied by its acceleration. This principle takes into account the centripetal force and the tension force in the string or rod.

What factors affect the time period of a conical pendulum?

The time period of a conical pendulum is affected by the length of the string or rod, the mass of the bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is suspended. It is also affected by the acceleration due to gravity at the location where the pendulum is being tested.

How does the angle of suspension affect the time period of a conical pendulum?

The time period of a conical pendulum is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle of suspension. This means that as the angle increases, the time period also increases. This is because a larger angle results in a greater tension force in the string or rod, which in turn increases the centripetal force and slows down the pendulum's motion.

What is the significance of understanding the time period of a conical pendulum?

Understanding the time period of a conical pendulum is important in various fields of science and engineering. It can be used to design and analyze pendulum-based devices, such as seismographs, and to study the effects of gravity and motion in physics experiments. It also has practical applications in timekeeping and navigation, as pendulum clocks and gyroscopes rely on the principles of the conical pendulum.