Tobacco Extractions: A Gardener's Guide

• Thread starter givemeaname
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a hobbyist's interest in natural products and their potential medical uses. They discuss how to extract and purify the compounds, and mention that it is an arduous and expensive process. A chemisttree suggests hiring a chemist to do the work, and provides some helpful advice.
givemeaname
Hi. I enjoy gardening as a hobby, mainly nicotiana (ornamental tobacco) and medicinal uses of plants. I am not a professional chemist.

Recently I have learned that uncured tobacco contains compounds called cembranoids and that these may have profound medical uses.

http://www.ulm.edu/universityrelations/news/july11/anticancer.html
http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/1990/pdf/6207x1353.pdf

What I am curious about is how to isolate these compounds, in as practical way as possible, without extracting nicotine. I have heard that most of the nicotine is contained inside the leaf especially the upper leaves, so the flower calyxes are desired to avoid nicotine and are also the most resinous parts of the plant (and thus contain more terpenoids). Since nicotine is water soluble I imagine that soaking the material in water for a time to remove nicotine and then doing an extraction would work. I don't think that would be enough though and I know full well the dangers of nicotine. Shocked

Also in the resin exudate of tobacco would probably be N-Hydroxyacylnornicotine (a selective toxin to hornworm larvae), which interests me but also would need to be removed. I doubt that it is very toxic or carcinogenic to humans, since nicotine metabolites like nornicotine are much less potent (tobacco field workers get covered in the resins regularly). But I would like to know more information.

N-Hydroxyacylnornicotine: http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/82/2/479.full.pdf

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Coming up with a workable scheme for the isolation and purification of natural products is not an armchair activity! The patent has the following information.

The extraction and isolation of compounds 1 and 21 was carried out in the following manner. 27.2 kg of fresh tobacco leaf powder (Custom Blends, NY, 27.2 Kg) was extracted with hexane (130 L) in percolators three times at room temperature. The hexane extract was concentrated under vacuum and dried extract (1050 g) was vacuum liquid chromatographed on silica gel (200-300 mesh, 2 Kg, Natland International Corporation) using gradient n-hexane/EtOAc to yield a crude cembranoid-containing fraction (64.0 g) which was further chromatographed on normal phase and finally on reversed phase silica gel (MeOH--H2O, 2:3, isocratic) to give compound 1 (1, 3.6 g) and compound 21 (17.9 g).

That's just how I'd do it!

Wow! That would be some hobby. I'd need access to the pulp mill's research lab, and some additional supplies and equipment to pull that off.

Yeah, it's virtually impossible without industrial quality lab equipment to extract the material, purify it, and perform spec on it.

What about just extracting and separating the resins from the alkaloids? Would that be something a layman like me could handle without dying?

givemeaname said:
What about just extracting and separating the resins from the alkaloids? Would that be something a layman like me could handle without dying?
I don't think so! That's a long, hard (expensive) uphill slog.

Thanks for your input everyone

It actually isn't too difficult to separate the terpenes from the alkaloids if you have the proper equipment. An alcohol extraction followed by a few extractions using hexanes and water with some acid and then with some base should do it.

chemisttree, do you think it would be cheaper and easier to hire a chemist?

Easier, safer and probably purer but not cheaper. You might try to have a chemistry professor at a local university or community college do that for you. This type of alkaloid extraction is performed as an undergraduate laboratory excercise using tea/caffeine instead of tobacco/nicotine.

That helps a lot, thanks. Do you know about how much it would cost in total? I'm assuming chemist's are paid by the hour.

Related to Tobacco Extractions: A Gardener's Guide

What is tobacco extraction?

Tobacco extraction is the process of removing the active compounds from tobacco plants, typically for use in products such as insecticides, pesticides, and natural remedies.

What are the benefits of tobacco extraction?

Tobacco extraction can provide a natural and organic alternative to chemical-based products, as well as a more sustainable option for gardeners. The extracted compounds in tobacco have been shown to have insecticidal and pesticidal properties, making them effective against common garden pests.

What is the best method for tobacco extraction?

The best method for tobacco extraction depends on the intended use of the extracted compounds. Some common methods include alcohol extraction, water extraction, and oil extraction. It is important to research and follow proper safety precautions when performing any extraction method.

Can tobacco extraction be done at home?

Yes, tobacco extraction can be done at home with the proper equipment and knowledge. However, it is important to note that the extracted compounds can be toxic, so it is crucial to follow proper safety procedures and handle the extracted compounds with caution.

Are there any risks associated with tobacco extraction?

As with any extraction process, there are potential risks involved. It is important to research and follow proper safety precautions to minimize these risks. Additionally, the extracted compounds from tobacco can be toxic, so it is important to handle them with caution and keep them out of reach of children and pets.

Back