Torque for rotating table

In summary, the customer is looking to use a 40:1 ratio gearbox with an 11" wheel to rotate a work station, but has limited information about the fixture and part being worked on. There is no change in height of the mass centre and the rotational surface is parallel to the floor. The torque needed is determined by calculating the moment of inertia and acceleration, taking into account friction and other factors. The customer's lack of cooperation may result in an estimated torque requirement of 43.791 Kazillion lbf-ft or N-m.
SevenToFive
Is there a way to figure out the torque needed to rotate a work table without knowing the center of gravity?
I have a customer who wants to use a 40:1 ratio gearbox to rotate a work station, the gearbox would have an 11" wheel on the input shaft for the operator to turn. However the information that the customer has provided is rather limited as most of his answers are "it's proprietary". What I do know is the largest diameter of the fixture and the part being worked on is 40inches. The length is 83inches and has a weight of 930 pounds.
Since I am rather limited on information, I was wondering if I could calculate the torque by treating the rotating portion as a solid cylinder, and calculate the moment of inertia, and acceleration?

Thanks to everyone who replies for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume there is no change in height of the mass centre.
You do not specify how quickly it is to turn.
If time is not an issue then the key question is the friction. The torque needed is little more than that needed to overcome frictional torque.

Try adding a long lever to the existing table (scaffolding pole?) and measuring the torque required to rotate it?

Lookup the maximum ergonomic torque that an average worker can apply with the 11" diameter wheel and that plus a bit more will determine the practical maximum output torque that can result. If a worker cannot turn the wheel, then the the amount of resisting torque is irrelevant.

Could you add a top view photo of the workstation?

The calculation method is straightforward. I assume your worktable surface is parallel to the floor and no tilt is involved. If not, you must include gravity effects.

Torque required is "max torque" or "peak torque" needed to accelerate the rotational mass inertia.
Fundamental equation for rotational mass is T = Jα. (analogous to F=ma for translational masses)
T = peak torque, J = mass moment of inertia, α = angular acceleration of the inertia J.
J = sum of the inertias (J-Table + J-Workpiece + J-AnyThingElse). Estimate the workpiece inertia from primitives found in a dynamics reference or internet (cylinders, cubes, etc.)
α ≈ Δω / Δt
Δω = max rotational velocity - starting rotational velocity
Δt = time required to change rotational velocities
Add additional torque "fudge factors" for friction, windage, odd-shaped workpiece inertias, anything else you can think of. Torque is cheap, use plenty of it.

If, after all of that, your customer continues to be uncooperative and say "it's proprietary" then tell them it will require 43.791 Kazillion lbf-ft or N-m of torque to turn his load.

Related to Torque for rotating table

1. What is torque for a rotating table?

Torque for a rotating table is the measure of the force that causes the table to rotate. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object around an axis, and is typically measured in newton-meters (Nm).

2. How is torque calculated for a rotating table?

To calculate torque for a rotating table, you need to know the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. The equation for torque is T = F × r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the torque of a rotating table?

The torque of a rotating table is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, the mass of the table, and the speed of rotation. The type of motor or power source used can also affect the torque.

4. How does torque impact the speed of rotation for a rotating table?

The torque applied to a rotating table is directly proportional to the speed of rotation. This means that the greater the torque, the faster the table will rotate. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the speed of rotation.

5. Can the torque of a rotating table be changed?

Yes, the torque of a rotating table can be changed by altering the force applied, the distance from the axis of rotation, or the type of motor or power source used. By increasing or decreasing these factors, the torque can be adjusted to achieve the desired speed of rotation.