Torque on a wheel and angular acceleration.

In summary, torque is equal to the product of moment of inertia and angular acceleration. If a torque is applied to a wheel, and there is frictional force acting on it, the resulting angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula T - r(F) = I x a. It may seem counterintuitive, but the frictional force actually causes a moment that opposes the motion of the wheel. This is because friction acts in a direction to oppose the relative motion of the surfaces in contact. Therefore, if the applied torque would cause the wheel to rotate in a clockwise direction, the torque from friction would act in a counterclockwise direction to oppose it.
SherlockOhms
So, torque is given by I (moment of inertia) x angular acceleration. Let's say that the wheel is a hollow cylinder so the M.O.I is mr^2, I think. If a torque, T is applied to the wheel and there is a frictional force acting on the wheel, calculate the angular acceleration. Well, T - r(F) = I x a (r being the radius of the wheel). My question is, why does the frictional force cause a moment that opposes the motion of the wheel? I would've thought it was the other way around. If the frictional force is acting backwards then wouldn't it's moment with the centre of the wheel cause it to rotate in a clockwise direction? Is the frictional force actually acting backwards or do I have this mixed up? Apologies for not sticking to the headings but they don't show up when posting from a phone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction is the force that opposes the relative motion of the wheel surface and whatever surface it contacts.

If you apply torque that would have the surface of the wheel move relative to the surface it contacts then the friction will act in a direction to oppose this motion. Torque acting on the wheel in a clockwise direction would have the torque from friction act in a counterclockwise direction and vice versa.

Ohhh, ok. I get it now. Thanks for that!

Related to Torque on a wheel and angular acceleration.

1. What is torque on a wheel?

Torque on a wheel is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of the force.

2. How is torque related to angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that the greater the torque applied to a wheel, the greater the resulting angular acceleration will be. This relationship is described by the equation T=Iα, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and α is angular acceleration.

3. What factors affect the torque on a wheel?

The torque on a wheel is affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point of application of the force, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, the moment of inertia of the wheel and the friction between the wheel and its axis also play a role in determining the torque.

4. How is torque on a wheel measured?

Torque on a wheel can be measured using a torque wrench, which is a tool that measures the amount of force applied to a wheel. The wrench has a gauge that displays the amount of torque being applied and can be adjusted to apply a specific amount of torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque on a wheel and angular acceleration?

Torque and angular acceleration are important concepts in many fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. In everyday life, these principles are used in the design and function of vehicles, bicycles, and other rotating machinery. In industrial settings, torque is used to tighten bolts and screws to specific specifications. It is also crucial in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where angular acceleration is key in performing spins and rotations.