Torsional spring and maximum velocity of wheel

In summary, the thread title was changed to better describe the problem and a moderator's note was posted reminding users to post homework in the correct thread. The conversation then discusses using energy conservation to solve a question and the effectiveness of using calculus in the problem. The conclusion is that the energy transfers from the spring to the wheel until the net rotation returns to zero, at which point all the spring potential energy has been transferred to the wheel's kinetic energy.
surya teja saithana
h
Moderator's Note: HOMEWORK POSTED IN WRONG THREAD, SO NO TEMPLATE
Thread title changed to make it descriptive of the problem.

media%2Fdf7%2Fdf764b9c-d73b-4777-9eb1-f1b97d2073ec%2Fimage.jpg

can i solve this question using energy conservation method as shown.
media%2Faf5%2Faf5a2873-1544-4dbb-9333-ef4376d51b80%2Fphpvs8w6i.png

media%2F700%2F70086f40-8147-41bb-ae7e-a3d61e33c41a%2FphprgjoBs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work and result look good to me.

I would probably have skipped the calculus myself, realizing that the wheel would be accelerating so long as the torque applied by the spring was positive and so transferring energy from the spring to the wheel. Hence the energy transfers from the spring to the wheel until the net rotation returns to zero, whereupon all the spring PE has moved to the wheel KE.

Related to Torsional spring and maximum velocity of wheel

1. What is a torsional spring?

A torsional spring is a type of spring that works by twisting or rotating rather than compressing or extending. It typically consists of a wire or bar made of a flexible material, such as steel, that is wound in a spiral shape. When the spring is twisted, it exerts a force in the opposite direction to return to its original position.

2. How does a torsional spring affect the maximum velocity of a wheel?

A torsional spring can affect the maximum velocity of a wheel by providing a restoring force that counteracts the effects of friction and other resistive forces. This allows the wheel to rotate at higher speeds without losing energy, resulting in a higher maximum velocity.

3. What factors influence the strength of a torsional spring?

The strength of a torsional spring is influenced by several factors, including the material it is made of, the wire diameter and length, the number of coils, and the angle of the spiral. These factors determine the stiffness and flexibility of the spring, which in turn affects its strength.

4. Can the maximum velocity of a wheel be increased by adjusting the torsional spring?

Yes, the maximum velocity of a wheel can be increased by adjusting the torsional spring. By changing the properties of the spring, such as its material, diameter, or number of coils, its stiffness and strength can be altered, allowing the wheel to rotate at higher speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to the maximum velocity that can be achieved with a torsional spring?

Yes, there are limitations to the maximum velocity that can be achieved with a torsional spring. Eventually, the speed of the wheel will be limited by factors such as the strength and durability of the spring material, as well as the amount of friction and resistance present in the system.