Total charge in a circuit/determining parallel or series

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of two capacitors (C1 and C2) with a potential difference of V = 100V and both charged with a potential difference. The switches S1 and S2 are closed, leading to a discussion about whether the capacitors are in parallel or series. The solution explains that the total charge on the capacitors will be 200 C, rather than 400 C as expected, due to the opposite charges on the plates. The concept of parallel connection is brought up to explain the final allocation of charges on the capacitors.
PhizKid
e5lfq0Lh.jpg

In this image, C1 is 1 microfarad and C2 is 3 microfarads and both capacitors are charged with a potential difference of V = 100V.

S1 and S1 are closed.

The solution says this is in parallel, but I don't see how it is. It looks like it's set up in series to me. But even if it is in parallel, I thought the total charge would be 400 C, but the solution says the total charge is 200. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PhizKid! :smile:

The diagram show "before", with the switches open.

It shows that the two capacitors have been charged the "opposite" way round …

so what will happen to the charge when the switches are closed? :wink:

I think I am having issues understanding capacitor theory. When the switches are closed, it seems to me that both capacitors hold some charges, but I'm not sure how the charges move around (how the current flows?)

forget that they're capacitors

the two top plates are connected by a wire, one has positive charge and the other has negative charge … what is the total? :smile:

Okay, so the both the sets of top two plates and bottom two plates should each have a net charge of zero?

So since q = CV, the left set of plates each have charges of 100 C, and the right set of plates has 300 C.

So I can choose either the upper set of connected plates or the lower set of connected plates? For the case in the upper set of plates, I'd have +100 C - 300 C = -200 C. Does it matter if there's a negative?

PhizKid said:
Okay, so the both the sets of top two plates and bottom two plates should each have a net charge of zero?

So since q = CV, the left set of plates each have charges of 100 C, and the right set of plates has 300 C.

So I can choose either the upper set of connected plates or the lower set of connected plates? For the case in the upper set of plates, I'd have +100 C - 300 C = -200 C. Does it matter if there's a negative?

100 C and 300 C are whacking great charges. Better check the units on your calculations!

But you've got the right idea. When two groups of opposite-signed charges are allowed to "see" each other through a conducting path, unless they are being held apart by some other electric force they will mix, pair up, and cancel. Whatever charges are left over constitute the final charge. Yes it can be negative if there were more negative charges than positive charges to begin with.

Okay, but if the question is asking the charge on each capacitor, how do I determine the signs for the net charge on both capacitors? I'm getting two different answers (-2 and 2, depending on which set of plates I choose to do the math with).

PhizKid said:
Okay, but if the question is asking the charge on each capacitor, how do I determine the signs for the net charge on both capacitors? I'm getting two different answers (-2 and 2, depending on which set of plates I choose to do the math with).

Usually capacitors end up with opposite polarity charges on their plates. The phrase "the charge on a capacitor is 3 micro coulombs" implies that there is +3 μC on one plate and -3 μC on the other.

The positive polarity of the potential difference is associated with the positive charge.

Note that you'll have to determine the final allocation of the total charges on the two capacitors if you're going to say what the charge in each is. This is where the "parallel connection" point of view comes into play...

Related to Total charge in a circuit/determining parallel or series

1. What is total charge in a circuit?

The total charge in a circuit refers to the amount of electric charge that is present in the entire circuit. This charge is usually measured in units of Coulombs (C) and is a fundamental property of any electrical system.

2. How is total charge calculated in a circuit?

To calculate the total charge in a circuit, you can use the formula Q= It, where Q is the charge in Coulombs, I is the current in Amperes, and t is the time in seconds. Alternatively, you can also calculate the total charge by adding up the individual charges of all the components in the circuit.

3. What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, and the current has multiple paths to flow through. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single path, and the current remains constant throughout the circuit. Additionally, the voltage drops across each component in a parallel circuit are the same, while in a series circuit, the voltage drops add up to the total voltage of the circuit.

4. How do you determine whether a circuit is in parallel or series?

To determine whether a circuit is in parallel or series, you can observe the connection of the components. If the components are connected in separate branches, it is a parallel circuit. If the components are connected in a single path, it is a series circuit. Additionally, you can measure the voltage and current at various points in the circuit to confirm the type of circuit.

5. How does the total charge differ between parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, the total charge is shared among the branches and remains the same throughout the circuit. In a series circuit, the total charge is equal to the charge of each component added together. This means that the total charge in a series circuit may differ at different points in the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, it remains constant.