Training subsets of data in Matlab

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to perform training on part of the data and leave the rest for testing, you can use a for loop to iterate through each subset of the training data and train your neural network using that subset. You can also simulate the network using the corresponding subset of testing data and perform any necessary calculations or evaluations on the output. This approach allows you to train and test your network on multiple subsets of data, mimicking the process of using weights and biases from one subset to train the next.
chamrik
Hi all,

Maybe i shud put it this way. Suppose I want to perform training on part of the data and leave the rest for testing. the training set is separated into subsets whereby I train one subset first, and use its weights and biases as weights to the next subset and so on. Then how to I write that loop taking into consideration that after I present every sample for training I will repeat the same process. Under normal circumstances we do this:

net = newff(mimax(x),[2,2],{'logsig','purelin'},'traingd');
net = train(net,x,t);

But now I want to perform something like this:

net = train(net,xtrain1,ttrain1);
net = train(net,xtrain2,ttrain2);

Maybe at this stage I can simulate and then if need be train again, go back to the above step.

but how do I present this in a form of a loop?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. To perform the training and testing process you described, you can use a for loop in your code. The for loop will iterate through each subset of the training data, perform the necessary training and testing steps, and then move on to the next subset. Here is an example of how you can structure your code using a for loop:

net = newff(mimax(x),[2,2],{'logsig','purelin'},'traingd'); %initialize your neural network

for i = 1:num_subsets %num_subsets represents the number of subsets you have in your training data
net = train(net,xtrain{i},ttrain{i}); %train the network using the current subset of training data
y = sim(net,xtest{i}); %simulate the network using the current subset of testing data
%perform any necessary calculations or evaluations on the simulated output
end

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your project!

Hi there,

To train subsets of data in Matlab, you can use a for loop to iterate through each subset and train the network using the train function. Here is an example of how you can do this:

net = newff(mimax(x),[2,2],{'logsig','purelin'},'traingd'); % initialize the network

for i = 1:num_subsets % loop through each subset
net = train(net, xtrain{i}, ttrain{i}); % train the network using the current subset
end

In this example, xtrain and ttrain are cell arrays containing the training data for each subset. You can also use a similar approach for testing the network on the remaining data. Hope this helps!

Related to Training subsets of data in Matlab

1. What is the purpose of training subsets of data in Matlab?

The purpose of training subsets of data in Matlab is to improve the performance of a machine learning or data analysis model. By training the model on a smaller subset of data, it can learn and make predictions more efficiently, and potentially avoid overfitting to the full dataset.

2. How do I create a training subset of data in Matlab?

To create a training subset of data in Matlab, you can use the "cvpartition" function to split your dataset into a training set and a test set. This function allows you to specify the percentage of data to use for training, as well as any specific conditions for the partitioning, such as stratification or randomization.

3. What is the difference between a training set and a test set?

A training set is used to train a machine learning or data analysis model, while a test set is used to evaluate the performance of the trained model. The training set is typically larger and used to teach the model, while the test set is smaller and used to assess how well the model generalizes to new data.

4. Can I use cross-validation with training subsets of data in Matlab?

Yes, Matlab has built-in functions such as "crossval" and "kfoldLoss" that allow for cross-validation with training subsets of data. Cross-validation is a useful technique for evaluating the performance of a model and selecting the best parameters for training.

5. How do I know if my training subset is representative of the full dataset?

To ensure that your training subset is representative of the full dataset, it is important to use randomization when partitioning the data. This helps to avoid any bias that may occur if the data is split based on a specific characteristic. Additionally, you can use visualizations and statistical measures to compare the distributions of the training and full datasets.