Trajectory of Mud Glob Thrown From Wheel: Solving the Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the trajectory of mud particles thrown off a wheel rolling on a muddy road. The question is how to find the trajectory when the particles are thrown at an angle to the horizontal and at what angle the height is maximized. The conversation also mentions the meaning of the critical speed v^2 = rg and how to prove that no mud can be thrown higher than a certain distance above the ground. The conversation also mentions using a sketch to help visualize the problem and the use of equations for finding the trajectory.
physicsnoob1

Homework Statement

A wheel of radius r is rolling along a muddy road with speed v, and particles of mud are being continuously thrown off from all points of the wheel. ignoring air resistance, what is the trajectory of a mud glob thrown off the wheel when it is at angle (theta) to the horizontal? at what (theta) is the height maximized? What is the meaning of the critical speed v^2 = rg?

Homework Equations

v = 2(pi)r / T is the propagation velocity of the wheel. but my first question is, is this the same as the rotational velocity? I've thought about it for a while and it seems like it is. i am stumped as to how to find the trajectory of the mud glob though. please help!

The Attempt at a Solution

well i guess I am still stuck on figuring out if the propagation velocity is the same as the rotational velocity. after that i was thinking about playing with the velocity vectors to find an expression for the trajectory. the only force acting on the glob should be gravity i think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Have you tried to sketch the problem? You know that when the wheel is at some angle, theta, a mud particle flies off. In what direction relative to the wheel will the particle travel?

physicsnoob1 said:

Homework Statement

A wheel of radius r is rolling along a muddy road with speed v, and particles of mud are being continuously thrown off from all points of the wheel. ignoring air resistance, what is the trajectory of a mud glob thrown off the wheel when it is at angle (theta) to the horizontal? at what (theta) is the height maximized? What is the meaning of the critical speed v^2 = rg?

Homework Equations

v = 2(pi)r / T is the propagation velocity of the wheel. but my first question is, is this the same as the rotational velocity? I've thought about it for a while and it seems like it is. i am stumped as to how to find the trajectory of the mud glob though. please help!

The Attempt at a Solution

well i guess I am still stuck on figuring out if the propagation velocity is the same as the rotational velocity. after that i was thinking about playing with the velocity vectors to find an expression for the trajectory. the only force acting on the glob should be gravity i think.

Please help me to show that, if v^2=gr, no mud can be thrown higher than r+v^2/2g+gr^2/2v^2 above the ground,

Last edited:
Richyfeller said:
Please help me to show that, if v^2=gr, no mud can be thrown higher than r+v^2/2g+gr^2/2v^2 above the ground,

Hootenanny said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Have you tried to sketch the problem? You know that when the wheel is at some angle, theta, a mud particle flies off. In what direction relative to the wheel will the particle travel?

yes i sketch the problem, but the equations to use for the proof is my problem

I would approach this problem by first clarifying that the propagation velocity and rotational velocity are indeed the same thing. This can be confirmed by considering the motion of a single point on the wheel - it will have both a linear velocity (propagation velocity) and an angular velocity (rotational velocity) that are equal in magnitude.

Next, I would consider the motion of the mud glob as a projectile, with an initial velocity that is a combination of the wheel's linear velocity and the tangential velocity of the point on the wheel where the glob was thrown. This can be represented by a vector diagram.

To find the trajectory of the mud glob, I would use the equations of projectile motion, taking into account the initial velocity, angle of projection (theta), and the effects of gravity. The trajectory will be a parabola, with the maximum height occurring when the projectile reaches its highest point. To find the angle at which the height is maximized, I would use the equation for the maximum height of a projectile and solve for theta.

The critical speed v^2 = rg refers to the speed at which the centrifugal force (caused by the rotational motion of the wheel) is equal to the force of gravity. This means that at this speed, the mud glob will continue to travel in a straight line instead of being thrown off the wheel. This is an important concept in understanding the dynamics of rotating objects.

In summary, the trajectory of the mud glob can be found by considering it as a projectile and using the equations of projectile motion. The critical speed v^2 = rg is the speed at which the centrifugal force is equal to the force of gravity and has implications for the motion of the mud glob.

Related to Trajectory of Mud Glob Thrown From Wheel: Solving the Mystery

1. What is the purpose of studying the trajectory of mud glob thrown from a wheel?

The purpose of studying the trajectory of mud glob thrown from a wheel is to gain a better understanding of the physics behind the motion of the mud glob. This can help us to make predictions and improve our understanding of how objects move through the air.

2. How do you measure the trajectory of a mud glob?

The trajectory of a mud glob can be measured by using tools such as a high-speed camera or a motion tracking system. These tools can capture the movement of the mud glob and provide data on its trajectory, including its speed, direction, and distance traveled.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a mud glob thrown from a wheel?

The trajectory of a mud glob can be influenced by several factors, including the initial speed and direction of the throw, the shape and weight of the mud glob, air resistance, and the surface on which the mud glob lands.

4. How can we use the trajectory of a mud glob to solve the mystery?

By analyzing the trajectory of the mud glob, we can determine the speed and direction at which it was thrown, as well as the distance it has traveled. This information can help us to piece together the events that led to the mud glob being thrown and potentially solve the mystery.

5. What are some real-world applications for studying the trajectory of objects?

Studying the trajectory of objects has many practical applications, such as in sports to improve performance and accuracy, in engineering to design better projectiles, and in forensics to reconstruct crime scenes. It can also help us understand natural phenomena, such as the trajectory of meteors or the movement of fluids in the atmosphere.