Transfer function from a fourth order polynomial?

In summary, the conversation discusses using experimental data from an Excel spreadsheet to create a transfer function in the form of Y/X. However, due to the nonlinear relationship, it is not possible to create a true transfer function. Some options for approximating the relationship using polynomials or factorization are suggested.
Secold

Homework Statement

Excel data for an assignment I'm doing has spit out a curve from some experimental data as shown here:
KcJyEEj.png

http://i.imgur.com/KcJyEEj.png

I'm wondering if there's a nice way to put this as a transfer function in the form of Y/X or something similar

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Simply using algebra seemed to not work to be able to get y/x, unless I'm missing something obvious.
I figured maybe if I used laplace transforms I could get a situation where Y/X would appear. Not sure how to go about this as it's pretty different from the differential equations laplace is normally used on.

Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
The polynomial is probably the only way to express it, though you could factorize it if you consider that would look neater.

Maybe a quartic is too unwieldy for you? I'd expect your real life process will be limited to a restricted range of x values, so you could try approximating your quartic over that useful range with a cubic or even a binomial. You might find you can get a good fit.

The usual "transfer function" involves both magnitude and phase, each smoothly changing with frequency. You have no phase term here, apart from maybe a couple of abrupt sign reversals as the graph crosses the x-axis.

Secold said:

Homework Statement

Excel data for an assignment I'm doing has spit out a curve from some experimental data as shown here:
KcJyEEj.png

http://i.imgur.com/KcJyEEj.png

I'm wondering if there's a nice way to put this as a transfer function in the form of Y/X or something similar
No, since the relationship is nonlinear. A transfer function needs to be linear, by definition. You can approximate nonlinear relationships by describing functions, but this is not a true transfer function.

Some people might take your expression and call it a transfer function. Not common usage but OK IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_function

Related to Transfer function from a fourth order polynomial?

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how the output of a system will respond to a given input.

2. What does "fourth order polynomial" mean in the context of a transfer function?

A fourth order polynomial refers to the highest degree of the polynomial in the transfer function. In other words, the transfer function will involve an equation with a maximum of four exponents, such as x^4, x^3, x^2, and x.

3. How is a transfer function from a fourth order polynomial derived?

A transfer function from a fourth order polynomial is typically derived by taking the Laplace transform of the differential equation that describes the system. This results in a rational function with polynomial coefficients which represents the transfer function.

4. What information can be obtained from a transfer function from a fourth order polynomial?

A transfer function from a fourth order polynomial can provide information about the stability, frequency response, and overall behavior of a system. It can also be used to analyze and design control systems.

5. Can a transfer function from a fourth order polynomial be used to model any system?

No, a transfer function from a fourth order polynomial is only applicable to linear time-invariant (LTI) systems. LTI systems are those that have constant coefficients and do not change over time.