Transfer function of flow measurement system HELP

In summary: In other words, you would divide the total path (p2-p3+p4) by the total path through just the bigger pipes to get the average flow.
cabellos2
Transfer function of flow measurement system HELP!

I have attached the question, which is to derive the transfer function of a volumetric flow measurement system...

I know of the following relevant equations:

F = Ma = MD^2.x

Flow f = area x velocity

and f through a restriction f = C(p2-p1)

Also Force F = pressure x Area

When considering the Mass alone I have

Sum of forces F = F - kx - BDx = MD^2.x

therefore x/F = 1 / K + BD + MD^2

and finally, x/F = (1/k) / 1 + (B/k)D + (M/k)D^2

However I am struggling to break the problem down further. Which parts of the system do I also need to consider and how do I go about manipulation of the equations to derive the transfer function...??

Your help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Systems Dynamics Flow Question.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org

You have an equation relating pressure difference to volumetric flow. The pressure on each side of the transducer would have a contribution to force on the transducer plate.

I am still struggling with this one I am afraid. I can't figure out where the 2Mf/k . A^2/a^2 term originates from...

Some guidance would be very much appreciated...

Ok this is where I have solved to thus far:

I have the equation x/F = 1 / (k + BD + MD^2)

but F = Pressure x Area

so Pressure difference on transducer mass P2 - P3 x Area = Force (F)

therefore,

x / A (P2-P3) = 1 / (k + BD + MD^2)

and then,

x / (P2 - P3) = A / (k + BD + MD^2)

then finally divide rhs of equation by k to give,

x / (P2 - P3) = A/k / ((1 + B/k(D) + M/k(D^2))

My next equation of (P2 - P3)C = f

so substituting this in gives,

x/flow = A/CK / ((1 + B/k(D) + M/k(D^2))

BUT where does the A^2 / a^2 term come in...??

Any pointers?

Thanks

I would guess this.
You may consider the smaller diameter pipes to be obstructions. Whenever the plate would be in motion [itex]\left( \frac{dx}{dt} \neq 0 \right)[/itex] then fluid would be flowing through these pipes. Thus p1 would not be equal to p2 and p3 would not be equal to p4.

Even though fluid would not pass through the plate, you may consider the path through both smaller pipes as one flow.

Related to Transfer function of flow measurement system HELP

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of flow measurement, it describes how the flow rate is related to the input signal from the measurement device.

2. Why is the transfer function important in flow measurement systems?

The transfer function allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of the flow measurement system. It helps us to determine the accuracy, precision, and response time of the system. It also allows us to make adjustments and calibrations to improve the performance of the system.

3. How is the transfer function calculated?

The transfer function is typically calculated by taking measurements of the input signal and corresponding output flow rate at different points across the operating range of the system. These data points are then used to create a mathematical model that represents the relationship between the input and output signals.

4. What factors can affect the transfer function of a flow measurement system?

The transfer function of a flow measurement system can be affected by various factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, viscosity, and fluid properties. It can also be influenced by the design and condition of the measurement device, as well as external factors such as vibrations or electromagnetic interference.

5. How can the transfer function be used to improve the accuracy of flow measurements?

By understanding the transfer function of a flow measurement system, adjustments and calibrations can be made to improve the accuracy of the measurements. For example, if the transfer function shows non-linearity in the relationship between input and output, a correction factor can be applied to improve the accuracy. Regularly monitoring and updating the transfer function can also help to maintain the accuracy of the system over time.