Transformer dot prob don't understand (with sol)

In summary, The problem is understanding how to assign dots to coils in circuits and specifically how to solve problem (a). The solution is to put a dot at the top of the right hand coil and to the right of the bottom coil, assuming the conductor enters the core from the back and exits the core from the front. The answer provided initially was incorrect and should have had a dot on the right side of coil 3.
ssadi
The problem:
attachment.php?attachmentid=41241&stc=1&d=1322238516.png

Solution in the spoiler:
attachment.php?attachmentid=41240&stc=1&d=1322238398.png

I don't know how to do the problem (a), but I also don't understand the answer (top of coil 3?). Can you give me the process on how to do the problem (a), i.e. in general how do I assign dots to coils in circuits? :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8 KB · Views: 417
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 438
Engineering news on Phys.org
ssadi said:
The problem:
attachment.php?attachmentid=41241&stc=1&d=1322238516.png

Solution in the spoiler:
attachment.php?attachmentid=41240&stc=1&d=1322238398.png

I don't know how to do the problem (a), but I also don't understand the answer (top of coil 3?). Can you give me the process on how to do the problem (a), i.e. in general how do I assign dots to coils in circuits? :)

the answer was wrong, it should be right side for coil 3, after finding that out i understand.

Assume that the conductor enters the core from the back and exits the core from the front.
Put a dot where the conductor exits the core.
On the left hand coil the conductor exits the core on the top. (It enters the core on the bottom.
On the right hand coil the conductor exits the core on the top. Put a dot at the top of the right hand coil.
On the bottom coil the conductor exits the core on the right. Put a dot to the right of the bottom coil.

Related to Transformer dot prob don't understand (with sol)

1. What is a transformer dot prob?

A transformer dot prob refers to the transformer dot problem, which is a phenomenon that occurs in electrical circuits where a transformer fails to function properly due to the improper connection of its primary and secondary windings. This can result in a variety of issues, such as overheating, voltage instability, and potential damage to the transformer.

2. How does a transformer dot prob occur?

A transformer dot prob can occur due to a number of reasons, such as incorrect winding connections, damaged insulation, or faulty components. It can also be caused by human error, such as incorrect installation or wiring.

3. What are the consequences of a transformer dot prob?

The consequences of a transformer dot prob can vary depending on the severity of the issue. It can result in reduced efficiency and performance of the transformer, as well as potential electrical hazards and damage to other components in the circuit. In extreme cases, it can even lead to complete failure of the transformer.

4. How can a transformer dot prob be solved?

To solve a transformer dot prob, the first step is to identify the root cause of the issue. This can be done through visual inspection, testing, and troubleshooting techniques. Once the cause is determined, the necessary repairs or replacements can be made to resolve the problem. It is important to seek the help of a trained professional to ensure the issue is properly resolved.

5. Can a transformer dot prob be prevented?

While a transformer dot prob can occur unexpectedly, there are certain measures that can be taken to prevent it from happening. This includes proper installation and wiring, regular maintenance and inspections, and using high-quality components. It is also important to follow safety protocols and guidelines to avoid any potential accidents or damage to the transformer.