Transformer lamination thickness calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of lamination thickness and core size in a transformer to reduce eddy current loss at 10 MHz. The speaker is new to the subject and is seeking help on how to calculate the size of a core to avoid saturation, given the peak current applied to a 1:1 transformer. It is noted that cores made of ferrite material are commonly used at 10 MHz, and datasheets from manufacturers such as TDK can provide information on calculating inductance and saturation flux.
rfequip
I am trying to figure out the lamination thickness of a transformer to reduce eddy current loss at 10 MHz. I am new to the subject, any help will be appreciated. Also how do I calculate the size of a core to avoid saturation knowing the peak current applied to a 1:1 transformer. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
rfequip said:
I am trying to figure out the lamination thickness of a transformer to reduce eddy current loss at 10 MHz. I am new to the subject, any help will be appreciated. Also how do I calculate the size of a core to avoid saturation knowing the peak current applied to a 1:1 transformer. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the PF.

Iron cores and laminations are generally used at AC mains frequencies (50Hz, 60Hz), not at 10MHz. At 10MHz cores are commonly made of ferrite material.

The datasheets for ferrite cores will give their Al ("A sub L") numbers to help you calculate the inductance you get for different numbers of turns. And saturation flux information will also be given in the datasheets.

See TDK or other manufacturer websites for more information. :smile:

Related to Transformer lamination thickness calculation

1. How is the thickness of transformer laminations calculated?

The thickness of transformer laminations is calculated using the formula:
t = (K x B x V)/f
Where:
t = thickness of lamination
K = stacking factor (typically between 0.9-0.95)
B = peak magnetic flux density (in Tesla)
V = volume of core (in cubic meters)
f = frequency of operation (in Hz)
This formula takes into account the desired magnetic flux density and frequency of operation to determine the optimal lamination thickness.

2. What is the significance of the stacking factor in transformer lamination thickness calculation?

The stacking factor represents the percentage of the core that is occupied by the lamination material. A higher stacking factor means that the lamination material is more tightly packed, resulting in a smaller core and lower material cost. However, a lower stacking factor can also lead to higher losses due to increased eddy currents. The stacking factor is typically chosen based on a balance between cost and performance.

3. How does the frequency of operation affect transformer lamination thickness?

The frequency of operation is a key factor in determining the optimal lamination thickness. Higher frequencies result in higher losses due to eddy currents, so a thinner lamination is often preferred to reduce these losses. However, a thinner lamination may also lead to higher leakage inductance and lower efficiency. The frequency of operation must be carefully considered when calculating the lamination thickness.

4. Can the lamination thickness be varied for different parts of the transformer core?

Yes, the lamination thickness can be varied for different parts of the transformer core. This is often done to optimize the design for different operating conditions or to reduce material costs. For example, the lamination thickness may be increased in areas with higher magnetic flux density to reduce losses, while it may be decreased in areas with lower flux density to save on material costs.

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating transformer lamination thickness?

In addition to magnetic flux density and frequency of operation, other factors that should be considered when calculating lamination thickness include the shape and size of the core, the material properties of the lamination material, and the desired efficiency and cost of the transformer. It is important to carefully analyze and optimize all of these factors to determine the most suitable lamination thickness for a specific transformer design.