Transition Diagrams and finite-state automaton?

In summary, the conversation discusses a table representing a finite state automaton and its functions. The confusion lies in interpreting the table, specifically the σ1 directly under the a in the f column. The correct interpretation is that in state σ0, both inputs a and b lead to an output of 1 and a new state σ1. In state σ1, input a leads to an output of 0 and a new state σ0, while input b leads to the same output and state as in σ0.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
20160425_181745.jpg

My confusion comes in with b/1, would it be going back to sigma inital since b/1=1?
Also could someone explain what a finite state automaton is.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the table format given, but it seems self-explanatory. If I understand it, I disagree with your answer diagram. Tell me how you interpret the σ1 directly under the a in the f column. I.e., in the row with σ0 in the left hand column.

haruspex said:
I'm not familiar with the table format given, but it seems self-explanatory. If I understand it, I disagree with your answer diagram. Tell me how you interpret the σ1 directly under the a in the f column. I.e., in the row with σ0 in the left hand column.
σ1 is when the output is a =1 and b=1

Kingyou123 said:
σ1 is when the output is a =1 and b=1
I think you completely misunderstand the table. The sigmas are the states, old and new. a and b are the values of the input (it's either an a or a b, not a 0 or a 1), and the 0 and 1 are the outputs. The functions f and g are the state change function and the output function respectively.

The first row says that in state σ0 an input of a leads to an output of 1 and a new state σ1; an input of b does the same.
The second row says that in state σ1 an input of a leads to an output of 0 and a new state σ0; an input of b does the same as it does in state σ0.

Related to Transition Diagrams and finite-state automaton?

1. What is a Transition Diagram and how is it used in computer science?

A transition diagram, also known as a state diagram or finite-state machine, is a visual representation of a finite-state automaton. It is used in computer science to model the behavior of a system that can be in a finite number of states, and can transition between those states based on input. This is commonly used in programming for tasks such as parsing and validating input, and in artificial intelligence for modeling decision-making processes.

2. What are the components of a Transition Diagram?

A Transition Diagram consists of states, transitions, and input symbols. States represent the different states that a system can be in, transitions represent the movement between states based on input, and input symbols represent the stimuli that trigger state transitions. Additionally, a Transition Diagram may also include start and accept states, which indicate the initial and final states of the system.

3. How do you construct a Transition Diagram for a given problem?

To construct a Transition Diagram, you first need to identify the states of the system and the input symbols that trigger state transitions. Then, you can draw a circle or node for each state and label them accordingly. Next, draw arrows between the states to represent transitions, and label the arrows with the input symbol that triggers that transition. Finally, add start and accept states if necessary.

4. What is the difference between a Deterministic and Non-deterministic Transition Diagram?

A Deterministic Transition Diagram has only one possible transition for each input symbol and current state combination, whereas a Non-deterministic Transition Diagram may have multiple possible transitions for the same input symbol and current state. This means that a Non-deterministic Transition Diagram may have more than one possible path or outcome for a given input sequence, whereas a Deterministic Transition Diagram will always have the same path and outcome for a given input sequence.

5. What are some real-world applications of Transition Diagrams and finite-state automaton?

Transition Diagrams and finite-state automaton have many real-world applications, including natural language processing, spell checkers, regular expressions, network protocols, vending machines, and more. They are also commonly used in the field of linguistics for analyzing and understanding language patterns and in the field of biology for modeling gene regulatory networks.