Transition Matrix and Ordered Bases

In summary: But, if we have a different basis for U, the columns will be different. The matrix we get is called the "change of basis matrix" for obvious reasons.In summary, the conversation discusses the transition matrix from ordered bases B and C in ℝn and how it is related to the matrices P and Q that represent the columns of B and C, respectively. The conversation also mentions the use of notation for basis vectors and how to define the transition matrix from B to C. The main goal is to prove that the transition matrix from B to C equals Q-1P, which can be done by rewriting the rows and columns and using the definition of matrix multiplication.
LosTacos
Let B and C be ordered bases for ℝn. Let P be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in B and let Q be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in C. Prove that the transition matrix from B to C equals Q-1P.

I am stuck. Here is what I have.

I know that if B is the standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in C 2nd vector in C ... nth vector in C]-1.

Also, if C is a standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in B 2 vector in B ... nth vector in B].

Since I konw what the transition matrix is from B to C given different standard bases, I am having a difficult time relating this to teh columns of each.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to need a notation for the basis vectors. I suggest
\begin{align} B&=\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}\\
C &=\{f_1,\dots,f_n\}
\end{align} How do you define the transition matrix from B to C? Is it the M defined by
$$f_i=\sum_j M_{ij} e_j$$ or the M defined by
$$f_i=Me_i=\sum_j (Me_i)_j e_j=\sum_j M_{ji} e_j?$$ (The latter M is the transpose of the former). You want to prove that (with one of these choices of M), we have ##M=Q^{-1}P##. This is equivalent to ##QM=P##, which is equivalent to ##P_{ij}=(QM)_{ij}=##what? Use the definition of matrix multiplication to rewrite ##(QM)_{ij}##. Then you can start thinking about rows and columns.

Im confused with the notation of the matrix. How do you rewrite the rows and columns

I'm not sure if you're asking about what I did or about the problem.

One notation that can be useful is to denote the number on row i, column j of a matrix A by ##A^i_j## instead of ##A_{ij}##. Then you can just denote the ith row by ##A^i##.

So for example, we have ##P_i=e_i## for all i.

If we have basis [itex]\{u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, u_n\}[/itex] for vector space U, then we can represent a vector [itex]u= a_1u_1+ a_2u_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nu_n[/itex] as the array [itex]\left<a_1, a_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, a_n\right>[/itex].
In particular the basis vectors themselves are very easy:
[itex]u_1= \left< 1, 0, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 0\right>[/itex]
[itex]u_2= \left<0, 1, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 0\right>[/itex]
... [itex]u_n= \left<0, 0, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 1\right>[/itex]
Now, look at what when you multiply each of those, written as a column by a matrix:
Multiplying [itex]u_1[/itex] gives just the first column, multiplying [itex]u_2[/itex] gives the second column, etc.
Example:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a_{12} \\ a_{22} \\ a_{32}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which will then be the coefficients of the expansion of Au in whatever basis we are using for the range space. That is, to represent linear transformation A from U to V, using a given ordered basis for each, apply A to each basis vector for U in turn, writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors for V. The coefficients of that linear combination will be the columns of the matrix representation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Transition Matrix and Ordered Bases

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the transformation of coordinates from one basis to another. It is typically denoted as T and has a dimension of n x n, where n is the number of dimensions in the vector space.

How is a transition matrix related to ordered bases?

A transition matrix is used to convert the coordinates of a vector from one ordered basis to another. It is derived from the columns of the basis vectors of the two bases, with each column representing the coordinates of the basis vector in the other basis.

What is the significance of a transition matrix in linear algebra?

Transition matrices are important in linear algebra because they simplify the process of transforming vectors from one basis to another. They allow for easy computation of vector operations and changes in coordinates between different bases.

How is a transition matrix calculated?

A transition matrix is calculated by first selecting the two bases between which the transformation is desired. Then, the coordinates of the basis vectors of one basis are expressed in terms of the other basis. These coordinates are then used to form the columns of the transition matrix.

Can a transition matrix be used for non-linear transformations?

No, a transition matrix is only applicable for linear transformations. For non-linear transformations, other mathematical tools such as Jacobian matrices are used to represent the change in coordinates between different bases.