Transitioning from engineering to physics

In summary, the individual has a bachelors in electrical engineering with honours but is now considering pursuing a post graduate physics course in the USA/Canada or Australia. They inquire about the possibility and are directed to additional undergraduate coursework as a potential prerequisite. They are also provided with a thread to read for more information.
anon6912
So i just finished my bachelors last year in electrical engineering with honours. However, I have been thinking about it for a while and my real passion is for a career in physics. Would I be able to sign up for a post grad physics course in USA/Canada or in Australia?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably not without some (a lot) of additional undergraduate coursework as a prerequisite.

anon6912 said:
So i just finished my bachelors last year in electrical engineering with honours. However, I have been thinking about it for a while and my real passion is for a career in physics. Would I be able to sign up for a post grad physics course in USA/Canada or in Australia?

Thanks

This will sound like a broken record (anyone knows what that is anymore?), but you might want to start by reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

Related to Transitioning from engineering to physics

1. How difficult is it to transition from engineering to physics?

Transitioning from engineering to physics can be challenging, as the two fields have different focuses and approaches. However, with a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, the transition can be manageable.

2. Will my engineering background be helpful in studying physics?

Yes, your engineering background can be beneficial in studying physics. Many concepts in engineering, such as mechanics and thermodynamics, overlap with physics. Your experience with problem-solving and critical thinking will also be useful in understanding complex physics theories.

3. Do I need to have a physics degree to work in the field?

While having a degree in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to work in the field. Many engineering roles also involve aspects of physics, and your experience in both fields can make you a valuable asset to companies or research institutions.

4. What challenges can I expect when transitioning to physics?

One of the main challenges of transitioning from engineering to physics is adjusting to the theoretical and mathematical focus of physics. You may also need to familiarize yourself with new concepts, terminology, and experimental techniques.

5. How can I prepare for the transition from engineering to physics?

To prepare for the transition, you can start by familiarizing yourself with fundamental physics concepts and theories. You can also take courses or attend workshops to strengthen your knowledge in areas that may be new to you. Networking with professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and guidance.