Transitioning from teaching to Data science

In summary, the individual is a physics teacher in Greece with a B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Physics teaching, looking to move into a more profitable field such as IT development. They have limited coding experience and have recently started a Data Science specialization from John Hopkins uni. They are wondering if this specialization and potentially a master's degree in IT/Data Science will help them pursue developing jobs. They also ask for advice on the most appropriate IT sector for their profile and which IT sector is in high demand.
physion
Hi all! First of all I am sorry about (grammatical ,etc) mistakes that I maybe do but english is not my first language. I am physics teacher in Greece holding a B.Sc. in Physics and a M.Sc. in Physics teaching. After 3 years of professional teaching I would like to start working in another sector more profitable because teaching is very low paid job here in Greece. So, I consider entering IT Development jobs and specifically Data Science as there are many and much better paid job posts. The problem is that the only coding I have done in my life was during my studies C++, Unix, HTML. A few days ago I started the Data Science specialization from John Hopkins uni.
Do you believe that it could help me essentially?
Do you believe that I could pursue developing jobs after this specialization and/or a masters degree in IT/ Data Science?
Which IT sector do you believe that would be the most appropriate to my profile?
Which IT sector is in huge demand ?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
physion said:
A few days ago I started the Data Science specialization from John Hopkins uni.
Do you believe that it could help me essentially?

Well it won't hurt, and you have to start somewhere. I don't think that, by itself, it is going to be enough.

Do you believe that I could pursue developing jobs after this specialization and/or a masters degree in IT/ Data Science?

You should be thinking this way: "I need multiple finished projects demonstrating I can leverage advanced analytics through code. Will this degree help me do that?" Maybe it does. Maybe you don't even need it. That's something only you can answer.

Related to Transitioning from teaching to Data science

1. What skills from teaching can I transfer to data science?

Teaching requires strong communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills, which are all valuable in data science. Additionally, the ability to break down complex concepts and explain them in a simplified manner is useful in both teaching and data science.

2. Do I need to have a background in math or programming to transition to data science?

While having a background in math or programming can be helpful, it is not a requirement for transitioning to data science. Many online courses and bootcamps offer introductory courses in these areas, and having a background in teaching can also provide a strong foundation for learning these skills.

3. What are the job prospects like for transitioning from teaching to data science?

Data science is a rapidly growing field, and there is a high demand for professionals with the necessary skills. Many industries, such as education, healthcare, and finance, are incorporating data science into their operations, creating a wide range of job opportunities for those with a background in teaching.

4. How can I gain experience in data science while still teaching?

There are several ways to gain experience in data science while still teaching. You can take online courses or attend workshops to learn new skills, work on projects in your free time, or even integrate data analysis into your teaching curriculum. Additionally, many schools and universities offer part-time or remote positions for data science work.

5. How can I market my teaching experience to potential employers in the data science field?

Highlighting your teaching experience on your resume can be beneficial in the data science field. Emphasize skills such as communication, problem-solving, and the ability to work with diverse groups of people. Additionally, consider obtaining certifications or completing projects that showcase your data science skills and how they relate to your teaching experience.