Transmitting Images through a Coherent Fiber Bundle

In summary: The light ray will then go down the fiber core with the use of a converging lens. To observe a transmitted image with minimal dispersion, you will need to use light with a matching wavelength. The zero-dispersion-wavelength for usual fibers used for applications in telecommunication is somewhere around 1300 nm. However, there are also some single mode fibers, where this wavelength is shifted to about 1550 nm.
petr1243
A coherent fiber bundle is very useful in transmitting images. Let's say we have a gaussian beam from a laser as our source. Now the acceptance angle(2*alpha) is determined from the location of the beam waist, right? The light ray will then go down the fiber core with the use of a converging lens. So, for us to successfully transmit an image(e.g. the letter "A") from end to end of the fiber, then the incidence angle outside of the fiber must be greater than the acceptance, and then the incident angle inside the core must be greater than the critical angle. Is this correct? What other key components do I need, in order to observe a transmitted image with minimal dispersion(e.g. single mode fiber)? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
petr1243 said:
What other key components do I need, in order to observe a transmitted image with minimal dispersion(e.g. single mode fiber)? Thanks

Not really a component, but to keep the dispersion at a minimum, you will need to use light with a matching wavelength. In this case it won't be in the visible range, but somewhere in the IR. The zero-dispersion-wavelength for usual fibers used for applications in telecommunication is somewhere around 1300 nm. However, there are also some single mode fibers, where this wavelength is shifted to about 1550 nm.

I haven't tried the experiment yet, but I'm geared towards starting it next week. Just need to get all the facts straight, before stepping into the lab. 1310, and 1550 nm sounds right. I've been reading many papers that have been using color coding, by using numerous amounts of dispersive prisms or gratings and lens'.(e.g. parallel image transmission by a single optical fiber by Friesem and Levy). I don't see why these complications are necessary?There must be a simpler way to produce an image through a coherent fiber bundle. He used a non-scanning method with the multimode fiber. It makes sense to work with the multi-mode fiber, then dive into the single mode fiber, so that's what I'll probably do. Also, I believe that it is possible to get no image from single mode fiber, since only one ray in a TEM mode is present, due to a possibility of leakage of that ray when the incident angle is less than the critical angle. What do you think? Thanks again.

Pete

Last edited:

Related to Transmitting Images through a Coherent Fiber Bundle

1. What is a coherent fiber bundle?

A coherent fiber bundle is a collection of numerous individual optical fibers that are arranged in a parallel and tightly packed configuration. Each fiber within the bundle is designed to transmit light waves with minimal loss and distortion, allowing for the transmission of high-quality images.

2. How does transmitting images through a coherent fiber bundle work?

The process of transmitting images through a coherent fiber bundle involves shining a light source, such as a laser, into one end of the bundle. The individual fibers then guide and transmit the light waves to the other end of the bundle, where they are collected and reconstructed into an image.

3. What are the advantages of using a coherent fiber bundle for image transmission?

Coherent fiber bundles offer several advantages for image transmission, including high resolution, low distortion, and the ability to transmit images over long distances without significant loss of quality. They are also flexible and compact, making them suitable for use in various imaging applications.

4. What are some common applications of coherent fiber bundles for image transmission?

Coherent fiber bundles are commonly used in medical imaging, such as endoscopes and laparoscopes, where high-resolution images are needed to make accurate diagnoses. They are also used in industrial and military applications, where remote viewing and inspection of hard-to-reach areas is necessary.

5. Are there any limitations to using a coherent fiber bundle for image transmission?

While coherent fiber bundles offer many advantages, they also have some limitations. One major limitation is the loss of light intensity as the light travels through the individual fibers, which can result in a decrease in image brightness. Additionally, the cost of manufacturing and maintaining a coherent fiber bundle may be a limitation for some applications.