Trig right triangle solving question How do you know if you should pick tan40 degrees

In summary, to solve for c in a right triangle, you could use: cosine=near side over hypotenuse, cos(A)=b/c, tan(A)=a/b, tan(40)=a/2.
land_of_ice
Trig right triangle solving question How do you know if you should pick tan, cot, etc for the last part?
if b = 2 , A =40 , find a,c, and B
I found all of them except for c , how do you get c
There's a part almost at the end that goes like tan40 degrees = a/2 and Cos 40 degrees = 2/c
Why do you know to pick Cos 40 , why not tan40 or cot of 40 for that last part there?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What "last part there"? You haven't included whatever you're talking about in your post.

A guess about the use of cosine: To find an unknown with a trig function, you must have an equation that has the unknown in it along with other known information. If you want to find c and cosine involves c, use cosine.

There is often more than one way to solve for an unknown. If c is the hypotenuse you can also use [tex] c^2 = a^2 + b^2 [/tex] to solve for it after you find b.

land_of_ice said:
Trig right triangle solving question How do you know if you should pick tan, cot, etc for the last part?
if b = 2 , A =40 , find a,c, and B
I found all of them except for c , how do you get c
There's a part almost at the end that goes like tan40 degrees = a/2 and Cos 40 degrees = 2/c
Why do you know to pick Cos 40 , why not tan40 or cot of 40 for that last part there?

Can you upload a picture that explains this?

My guess is, although Stephen Tashi is right, it's usually best to only use values given in a question if you can, just in case your values calculated in other parts of the question are wrong, which could cause confusion if you get odd answers later on.

The convention is that, in a triangle, sides labeled a, b, c are opposite angles labeled A, B, C respectively.

And, in right triangles, by convention, C is the right angle and c is the hypotenuse.

Back when you first learned about trig functions you were supposed to have learned something like:
sine= opposite side/hypotenuse,
cosine= near side/hypotenuse
tangent = opposite side/near side

Given angle A and side b, you think- a is the side opposite angle A and b is the other leg, the side "near" angle A so the appropriate formula is "tangent= opposite side/near side": tan(A)= a/b or tan(40)= a/2. Then solve for a.

To find c, given only angle a and angle b, you think, c is the hypotenuse and b is the "near" side to A so the appropriate formula is "cosine= near side over hypotenuse":
cos(A)= b/c or cos(40)= 2/c. Then solve for c.

Of course, if, at this point, you have already solved for a, you could think "sine= opposite side over hypotenuse": sin(40)= a/c. Or, as Stephen Tashi said, you could use \(\displaystyle c^2= a^2+ b^2\). However, I agree with sjb-2812 that it is better to use the initially given values- you will not propagate arthmetic errors.

Related to Trig right triangle solving question How do you know if you should pick tan40 degrees

1. How do I know which trigonometric function to use when solving a right triangle?

When solving a right triangle, you should first identify the given information and the information you are trying to find. Then, use the acronym SOH-CAH-TOA to determine which trigonometric function to use. If you are trying to find the length of the side opposite the given angle, use sine (SOH). If you are trying to find the length of the side adjacent to the given angle, use cosine (CAH). If you are trying to find the length of the hypotenuse, use tangent (TOA).

2. How do I know if I should pick tan40 degrees?

You should pick tan40 degrees if you are trying to find the length of the side opposite the given angle in a right triangle and you have the length of the adjacent side. Tan40 degrees represents the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the adjacent side, which is the definition of tangent.

3. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions that are used to solve right triangles. Sine (sin) is the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the hypotenuse. Cosine (cos) is the ratio of the length of the adjacent side to the length of the hypotenuse. Tangent (tan) is the ratio of the length of the opposite side to the length of the adjacent side.

4. Can I use any angle to solve a right triangle using trigonometry?

No, you cannot use any angle to solve a right triangle using trigonometry. The angles in a right triangle are always 30, 45, and 90 degrees, or multiples of these angles. These angles are special because they form simple ratios with the sides of the triangle, making it easier to solve using trigonometry.

5. How do I know if I have enough information to solve a right triangle?

To solve a right triangle using trigonometry, you need to know at least one angle and the length of one side. If you know the length of the two shorter sides, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the third side. If you know the length of the hypotenuse and one other side, you can use trigonometry to find the lengths of the other sides. In general, you need to have at least two pieces of information to solve a right triangle using trigonometry.