Trigonometric Equations find all solutions

And you can get the 2nd angle by drawing a triangle. This is the same process you would use to get coterminal angles.In summary, to find all solutions within 0 < θ < 2π for sec(3θ) = 2, you can use the following steps:1. Solve for θ by taking the inverse secant of both sides.2. Find the reference angle for θ in the 1st quadrant.3. Use the above rule to find the corresponding angles in the other quadrants.4. Use the restriction 0 < θ < 2π to find coterminal angles if necessary.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

sec 3[tex]\Theta[/tex] = 2

Find all solutions within 0 < [tex]\Theta[/tex] < 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble "knowing" what angles satisfy sec = 2 within the interval.

I can find one... ArcCos 1/2 = 1.047... which I can guess is [tex]\Pi[/tex]/3.

The other is 4[tex]\Pi[/tex]/3, but I have NO idea how to get that angle.

I need both to format two different general formulas to get all possible answers, but I have no problem doing that. My problem is the first step, magically knowing the angles that satisfy sec = 2 within the interval. I can find one using inverse functions but I don't know how one comes to the second.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the equation?
[tex]\sec 3\theta = 2[/tex]

If so, neither π/3 or 4π/3 are solutions. (Plug them into the equation and see.) I suspect that you're thinking that if the secant of (some angle) = 2, then (some angle) = π/3. But (some angle) is actually 3θ, so 3θ = π/3. What is theta, then?

If you are looking for angle with a specific trig ratio, and you are sure that the angle is one of those special angles (based on 30°, 45°, 60°, ...), then draw triangles in the cartesian plane. And that's triangles, plural, because you should know that the secant of an angle is positive in two quadrants, right? You already got one: sec π/3 = 2. But where else?

After getting the 2nd angle, you will have to contend with the restriction of 0 ≤ θ < 2π. Remember, the angles we are finding equal 3θ, not θ. So given the restriction, you can say that 0 ≤ 3θ < . You'll need to get some coterminal angles between 0 and 6π. (Hint: there will be six answers total.)

I know that pi/3 and 4pi/3 aren't solutions to the overall equation, they are solutions to sec theta= 2. I use those angles to find the solutions. I just want a faster way to get the initial angles needed (that satisfy secant = 2 in this example.)

I also get 6 answers, pi/9; 7pi/9, 13pi/9, 4pi/9, 10pi/9, 16pi/9. These are easily found once I know the second angle that satisfies secant of 2. I may have overcomplicated the question. I just need a quick way of finding that second initial angle. The first one I find with arccos .5, the second one I usually have to draw a plane for which I don't have time for during exams.

Sorry I'm not using proper formatting, doesn't seem to work on my browser well.

Last edited:
sec(3t) = 2
invert (flip) both sides
cos(3t) = 1/2
Get a unit circle. Each point is of the form (cosine(angle), sine(angle))
We want the angles where cosine is 1/2.
These angles are:
π/3 and 5π/3
But since we have 3t, we include all solutions less than 6π. See the above reply for more details.
So 3t = π*(1/3, 5/3, 7/3, 11/3, 13/3, 17/3)
then t = (those, but divided by 3)

1MileCrash said:
I know that pi/3 and 4pi/3 aren't solutions to the overall equation, they are solutions to sec theta= 2. I use those angles to find the solutions. I just want a faster way to get the initial angles needed (that satisfy secant = 2 in this example.)

I also get 6 answers, pi/9; 7pi/9, 13pi/9, 4pi/9, 10pi/9, 16pi/9. These are easily found once I know the second angle that satisfies secant of 2. I may have overcomplicated the question. I just need a quick way of finding that second initial angle. The first one I find with arccos .5, the second one I usually have to draw a plane for which I don't have time for during exams.

Sorry I'm not using proper formatting, doesn't seem to work on my browser well.

As The Chaz stated, the 2nd angle wasn't 4π/3, but 5π/3. cos 4π/3 = negative 1/2.

If you're looking for a quick way of finding the angles in the various quadrants, I can tell you that when I learned trig I memorized the following:
- the sign of the trig functions in each quadrant
- the operations to perform to find angles in all quadrants given a reference angle

Reference angles are between 0 and π/2. Given a reference angle t, the corresponding angles in the 4 quadrants are as follows.
- Quadrant I: angle is just t.
- Quadrant II: angle is π - t.
- Quadrant III: angle is π + t.
- Quadrant IV: angle is 2π - t.

So in the case of cos θ = 1/2, you know that θ = π/3 if θ is in the 1st quadrant. Cosine is also positive in the 4th quadrant, so our corresponding angle would be
2π - π/3 = 5π/3.

Related to Trigonometric Equations find all solutions

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to find relationships between angles and sides of triangles.

2. How do you solve trigonometric equations?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the variable by using trigonometric identities, simplifying the equation, and using algebraic techniques. Then, use a calculator to find the solutions.

3. What are the different types of solutions for trigonometric equations?

There are two types of solutions for trigonometric equations: general solutions and specific solutions. General solutions use a variable, such as n, to represent all possible solutions, while specific solutions use actual values.

4. How do you find all solutions to a trigonometric equation?

To find all solutions to a trigonometric equation, you must use the general solution and add or subtract multiples of 2π to the solutions. This is because the trigonometric functions have a repeating pattern every 2π radians.

5. Why are there multiple solutions to some trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations can have multiple solutions because the trigonometric functions have a repeating pattern. This means that there can be an infinite number of angles that satisfy the equation within a certain range or interval.