Trisecting a right angle with compass+straightedge

• Thread starter G037H3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: This is not one of those cases.In summary, trisecting a random given angle with straightedge+compass is impossible. However, it is possible to trisect a right angle using straightedge+compass by constructing a 30 degree angle through various methods, such as creating a 60 degree angle and bisecting it, or bisecting the right angle and creating two 15 degree angles. There are also cases where neither an angle nor its third can be constructed, but in this case, it is possible to construct the third angle if the original angle is given.
G037H3
I know the current impossibility of trisecting a random given angle with straightedge+compass.

My question is: is it possible to trisect a right angle using straightedge+compass, perhaps by creating a 60 degree and 30 degree angle, and then bisecting the 60 degree angle

or

by bisecting the right angle and then discerning a 15 degree angle one each side of the bisection so that three 30 degree angles are produced?

My last question wasn't answered, maybe this one will be ^_^

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Okay, so my idea of creating a 60 degree angle (1 angle in an equilateral triangle) is the correct method, it seems. I'm not going to go into depth about geometric constructions, as I am going to wait until after I've mastered Euclid's Elements and La Geometrie. :)

It was just a random thing that popped into my mind.

For French readers, two reviews for general public :
" Trisection " : a brief review of the Ancient Greec problem of the angle trisection.
" Tracé d'un angle quelconque à la règle et au compas" : A very simple and accurate (but not theoretically exact) method.
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

thank you for contributing to my thread

I unfortunately have not yet learned French, though I intend on doing so after Deutsch and perhaps Latin :)

G037H3 said:
I know the current impossibility of trisecting a random given angle with straightedge+compass.
Not just "current"- it is impossible and with the restriction to "straight edge and compass" will always be impossible.

My question is: is it possible to trisect a right angle using straightedge+compass, perhaps by creating a 60 degree and 30 degree angle, and then bisecting the 60 degree angle

or

by bisecting the right angle and then discerning a 15 degree angle one each side of the bisection so that three 30 degree angles are produced?

My last question wasn't answered, maybe this one will be ^_^
What are you talking about? Trisecting a right angle specifically? That's trivial. When we say it is impossible to trisect an angle with straight edge and compass we mean it is not possible to trisect an arbitrary angle that way- that there exist angles which cannot be trisected that way.

Not just "current"- it is impossible and with the restriction to "straight edge and compass" will always be impossible.

I know, but I keep an open mind regarding the term "impossible".

What are you talking about? Trisecting a right angle specifically? That's trivial. When we say it is impossible to trisect an angle with straight edge and compass we mean it is not possible to trisect an arbitrary angle that way- that there exist angles which cannot be trisected that way.

Yes, what I wrote in the OP is exactly what I meant. As for the rest, I know.

What I was asking for was a specific method of trisecting a right angle, nothing else.

Euclid provided a method for constructing a right angle, and for constructing a 60 degree angle, thus for constructing a 30 degree angle. Thus it is possible to construct a 30 degree angle. This answers your question.

There are, more interestingly, certain cases where neither angle A nor angle A/3 can be constructed, but when A is given, then angle A/3 can be constructed from it.

Related to Trisecting a right angle with compass+straightedge

1. Can a right angle be trisected using only a compass and straightedge?

Yes, it is possible to trisect a right angle using only a compass and straightedge. However, this method requires advanced mathematical knowledge and precise construction techniques.

2. What is the process for trisecting a right angle with a compass and straightedge?

The process involves constructing a series of geometric constructions and bisecting angles in a specific pattern to achieve three equal angles within the right angle. It is a complex and involved process, and it is essential to follow the steps precisely for accurate results.

3. Are there any limitations to trisecting a right angle with a compass and straightedge?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It is only possible to trisect a right angle if the angle can be constructed with a finite number of constructions. Some angles, such as a 20-degree angle, cannot be trisected using this method.

4. Is trisecting a right angle with a compass and straightedge a practical application in real life?

No, trisecting a right angle using only a compass and straightedge is not a practical application in real life. It is a theoretical concept in mathematics and has limited practical use. In most practical situations, a protractor or other measuring tools would be used to achieve a precise angle measurement.

5. Are there any alternative methods for trisecting a right angle?

Yes, there are other methods for trisecting a right angle, such as using a special ruler or using a dynamic geometry software program. However, these methods often involve more complex tools and techniques, and the process may still require advanced mathematical knowledge.