Troubleshooting LaTeX Code Display Issues: Resolving Garbled Code on Page Reload

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter epovo
  • Start date
In summary, troubleshooting LaTeX code display issues involves resolving garbled code that appears when reloading a page. This can be caused by incorrect code syntax, missing packages or font files, or conflicts between packages. To troubleshoot, check for typos in the code, ensure all necessary packages and font files are installed, and try removing conflicting packages. Additionally, using a different compiler or updating LaTeX software may help resolve the issue.
epovo
TL;DR Summary: Every time I reload the page most of LaTeX code becomes garbled, so I can't really post

This happens also when I preview, so something like
$$g_{,\mu} = g g^{\alpha\beta} g_{\alpha\beta,\mu}$$
becomes
g,μ=ggαβgβα,μ

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried this with Chrome and Edge. It's the same. It used to work fine :mad:

epovo said:
I tried this with Chrome and Edge. It's the same. It used to work fine :mad:
The LaTeX in your OP looks fine to me:
Screenshot_20221231-200902.png
There's a known issue that LaTeX doesn't render if there isn't already LaTeX on the page - but a refresh should fix that. You seem to be saying that your post initially renders, but gets garbled when you refresh?

Exactly. So unless I write all the LaTeX code and post it without not even once previewing it or saving it as a draft, it will get garbled.

Similar happens if you use the highlight-and-reply feature on LaTeX - you get the characters but not the formatting.

Are you using the WYSIWYG editor or the text only? Could you try the text only editor if you haven't done?

I am just typing the LaTeX code in plain text.

Yes, you have no choice. But we used to have an issue with LaTeX accidentally rendering in the WYSIWYG editor, which had a similar end product to what uou are describing. I was wondering if that bug was back.

Somewhere in the toolbar there's a button labelled with a pair of square brackets - it's either over on the right somewhere or in one of the ##\vdots## submenus on the right. Tap/click it and all the other buttons should go red and unresponsive. Then try typing and previewing some LaTeX and see if the bug happens.

• Love
Likes epovo
This is my attempt:
$$ g_{,\mu} = g g^{\alpha\beta} g_{\alpha\beta,\mu}$$
I previewed a couple of times and it seems to work! thank you very much, Ibix.

Likes Ibix
No problem. However, @Greg Bernhardt may want to know that you're getting this. You mentioned Chrome and Edge so I guess you're on Windows. If you could say the browser versions that might be of interest.

LaTeX is rendered client side, so while it is not impossible something got broken and requires Greg's attention, as long as there is no wave of reports I am ready to assume problem is related to the OP computer/browser and there is not much that can be done server side.

But definitely reporting such things helps keep track of what is going on. Just keep in mind your computer is the first suspect. Often just emptying cache and resetting cookies helps.

epovo said:
TL;DR Summary: Every time I reload the page most of LaTeX code becomes garbled, so I can't really post
This bug has been reported again and again. In the last thread reporting this bug, I made a list of all threads that have reported this bug: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/latex-help.1046932/post-6816969

This post of mine briefly explains what goes wrong: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/how-to-preview-latex-formulas.1045620/post-6801311

And the workaround is available here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...oes-it-work-for-you-here.1006363/post-6531460

Once again, I request this bug, and the workarounds, to be mentioned somewhere in the LaTeX help section so that new users are aware of it. It can become frustrating if a new user writes a full page of LaTeX, clicks on Preview, and then finds everything is permanently garbled. A dynamic message on the New Thread creation page informing that the MathJax resource has not been loaded, will also be useful.

Last edited:
Likes dextercioby

1. What causes garbled code to appear when reloading a LaTeX document?

Garbled code can appear when reloading a LaTeX document due to a variety of reasons, such as incomplete or incorrect coding, conflicts between packages, or errors in the document's preamble. It can also be caused by using unsupported characters or fonts.

2. How can I troubleshoot and identify the source of the garbled code?

To troubleshoot garbled code in LaTeX, you can start by checking for any errors or warnings in the log file that is generated during compilation. You can also try removing or commenting out parts of the code to see if the issue persists. Additionally, checking the encoding of your document and ensuring all packages and fonts are properly installed can also help identify the source of the problem.

3. Can using a different LaTeX editor help resolve garbled code issues?

Yes, using a different LaTeX editor can sometimes help resolve garbled code issues. Some editors have built-in features that can automatically detect and fix coding errors, while others may have better compatibility with certain packages or fonts. It's worth trying out different editors to see if it helps resolve the issue.

4. Is there a way to prevent garbled code from appearing in the first place?

While it's not always possible to prevent garbled code from appearing, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening. These include regularly checking for errors during the writing and compiling process, using supported characters and fonts, and keeping your LaTeX installation up to date.

5. Can garbled code affect the final appearance of my document?

Yes, garbled code can affect the final appearance of your document. It can cause errors in formatting, such as incorrect spacing or font changes, and can also lead to missing or misplaced text. It's important to resolve garbled code issues before finalizing and sharing your document to ensure it appears as intended.