Troubleshooting LED Lights & Stator System on Off Road Vehicle

In summary, the person is experiencing issues with their LED lights on their off-road vehicle. The lights go out when there is a heavy draw on the system, such as when using the winch or when the cooling fan comes on. The person wonders if this can be fixed with a battery with higher cranking amps, but it is not clear what is causing the issue. They mention possible problems with the relay and battery contacts, and suggest listening or watching the relay to see if it is dropping out. They also mention the manufacturer having a responsibility to validate their product and suggest exchanging it for something else. Finally, they mention the efficiency and lifespan of LED lights compared to other types of lighting.
CLARKMP
I put LED LIGHTS 60 WATTS on an off road vehicle with a stator not an alternator. When i use my winch or the cooling fan comes on the light goes out. I can turn the light switch off then on and it comes back on. It only happens when there is a fairly heavy draw on the system. Can this be fixed by a battery with a higher cranking amps.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what is happening here.

I can picture the light going out briefly when the winch starts. These have a high starting current. But it should just come back on once the winch is turning.
A cooling fan doesn't really draw much current, so that shouldn't be doing it at all.

Maybe you have corroded battery contacts?

What happens to the headlights if you turn the winch on? Do they drop a lot in brightness?

Does the car start OK? That is the heaviest load for your battery so a bad battery or corroded contacts will usually cause trouble when starting.

If the winch and fan are running i can turn light on an it stays on. If the light is on first it goes out . It is on a relay from the switch. Vehiclr is brand new

Relay problem.

Maybe the relay is very sensitive about getting at least 12 volts?

Try to listen to or watch the relay and see if it is dropping out.

Ok thanks

It sounds like the LED light manufacturer did a poor job. Vehicular electrical systems fluctuate greatly, and the vendor has a responsibility to validate their product prior to putting it on the market.

I'd return to the store and attempt to get it exchanged for something of similar value.

-Mike

Light is a vision x xmitter . For the price it should be flawless.12"/20 led's $400

It may still be Ok. Could be a faulty installation.

Try to measure the coil voltage at the relay when you operate the winch.

Try to listen to or watch the relay and see if it is dropping out. It probably makes quite a loud "click" noise when it turns on or turns off.

LED lights are far more efficient than any other lighting alternative commercially available at the moment. LED bulbs have a 100,000 hour lifespan, and will last for 11 years at continuous operation, or 22 years at 50% operation. Compare this to the approximate lifespan of 5,000 hours for an incandescent light bulb and 10,000 hours for a fluorescent light. Many businesses find the lifespan of LED light bulbs very attractive - imagine only have to change the signage on a business property once every 11 years. With incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, the true cost of the bulb should include the labor expense and time needed to replace them. LED lights virtually eliminate lighting maintenance costs.

www.sandhurst-mfg.com/contacts.html[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith9 said:
LED lights are far more efficient than any other lighting alternative commercially available at the moment. LED bulbs have a 100,000 hour lifespan, and will last for 11 years at continuous operation, or 22 years at 50% operation. Compare this to the approximate lifespan of 5,000 hours for an incandescent light bulb and 10,000 hours for a fluorescent light. Many businesses find the lifespan of LED light bulbs very attractive - imagine only have to change the signage on a business property once every 11 years. With incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, the true cost of the bulb should include the labor expense and time needed to replace them. LED lights virtually eliminate lighting maintenance costs.

www.sandhurst-mfg.com/contacts.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Nope, sorry, LEDs are not the most efficient type of lighting, fluorescents are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Troubleshooting LED Lights & Stator System on Off Road Vehicle

1. How do I know if my LED lights are not working properly?

The most common sign of LED lights not working properly is when they do not turn on or when they flicker. You can also check the wiring and connections to make sure they are secure.

2. Why are my LED lights dimmer than usual?

Dim LED lights can be caused by a low battery or a faulty stator system. Check the battery voltage and make sure it is fully charged. If the voltage is low, it may be time to replace the battery. If the battery is fine, then the issue may be with the stator system, which may need to be replaced.

3. How do I troubleshoot the stator system?

To troubleshoot the stator system, you can use a multimeter to check the voltage output. First, disconnect the stator from the wiring harness and then test the voltage at the stator. If the voltage is within the recommended range, then the stator is functioning properly. If not, then it may need to be replaced.

4. What are some common reasons for stator system failure?

The most common reasons for stator system failure include overheating, water damage, and wear and tear over time. It is important to regularly maintain and inspect the stator system to prevent these issues.

5. Can I replace the stator system and LED lights myself?

If you have experience working with electrical systems and have the necessary tools, then you may be able to replace the stator system and LED lights yourself. However, it is recommended to seek professional help to ensure proper installation and prevent any further damage to your off-road vehicle.