Truss Analysis: Find Forces on Members

In summary, the conversation is about truss analysis and determining the forces on each member, whether they are in tension or compression. The person is seeking help with finding the correct reactions at points A and D in order to solve the problem. They mention using a free body diagram and summing moments and forces to solve the problem.
FairyChatMan
Truss Analysis :(

Homework Statement

truss.jpg

Find the force on each of the members and tell if it is tension of compression.

Homework Equations

M = fd [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx and Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my professor said to us that the first thing to do is to compute for the reactions on the pin. After that, start using Free body diagram on one of the pin, and continue to complete the truss.

Here's what I did...

I set point D as pivot... then
[tex]\sum[/tex]M = 8A - 16cos55 - 12cos55 = 0
A = 2.0075 N upward

But shouldn't the summation of all forces be zero? By having A = 2.0075 and an unknown Rxn on D (which obviously will point upward), the system won't be in equilibrium because cos35 + 1.5cos35 = 2.0479 N.

Just help me getting the correct Reactions on point A and D and i'll be able to solve this problem.. thanks..

=================================

Physics news on Phys.org

How many reaction components are there at A?

FairyChatMan said:

Homework Statement

truss.jpg

Find the force on each of the members and tell if it is tension of compression.

Homework Equations

M = fd [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx and Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, my professor said to us that the first thing to do is to compute for the reactions on the pin. After that, start using Free body diagram on one of the pin, and continue to complete the truss.

Here's what I did...

I set point D as pivot... then
[tex]\sum[/tex]M = 8A - 16cos55 - 12cos55 = 0
A = 2.0075 N upward
that should be M = 16A - ...etc
But shouldn't the summation of all forces be zero? By having A = 2.0075 and an unknown Rxn on D (which obviously will point upward), the system won't be in equilibrium because cos35 + 1.5cos35 = 2.0479 N.
if you sum forces in y direction, A_y -1(sin35) -1.5(sin35) +D_y =0, plug in value for A_y and solve for D_y.
Just help me getting the correct Reactions on point A and D and i'll be able to solve this problem.. thanks..

=================================
looks like you had a math typo, some trig errors,and you missed a variable when summing y forces = 0. You can check your work by summing moments about A to solve for D_y.

Related to Truss Analysis: Find Forces on Members

1. What is truss analysis?

Truss analysis is a method used to determine the internal forces and reactions on the members of a truss structure. It involves solving equations of equilibrium to find the forces acting on each member.

2. Why is truss analysis important?

Truss analysis is important because it allows engineers and architects to design and construct safe and efficient truss structures. By understanding the forces acting on the members, they can ensure that the truss can support the intended load without failure.

3. What are the different types of truss analysis methods?

There are two main types of truss analysis methods: method of joints and method of sections. In the method of joints, the equilibrium equations are applied at the joints to determine the forces on each member. In the method of sections, a section of the truss is isolated and the equilibrium equations are applied to determine the forces on the members within that section.

4. What are some common assumptions made in truss analysis?

Some common assumptions made in truss analysis include: all the members are connected by frictionless pins, the members are loaded only at the joints, and the truss is loaded in a two-dimensional plane. These assumptions help simplify the analysis and make it easier to calculate the forces on the members.

5. How are the forces on the members of a truss determined?

The forces on the members of a truss are determined by applying the equations of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all the forces in the x and y directions must equal zero, and the sum of the moments about any point must also equal zero. By solving these equations, the forces on each member can be calculated.