Why Is DeMorgan's Theorem Valid According to Truth Tables?

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
In summary, DeMorgan's theorem states that for two variables, ' ' is the bars that are above the letters. The table will have four columns: X, Y, X'Y', and ' + Y'. The first column, X, will have all 0's in it, the second column, Y, will have all 1's in it, the third column, X'Y', will have all X's in it, and the fourth column, ' + Y', will have all Y's in it.
XodoX
1. Demonstrate by means of truth tables the validity of the following identities.

a) DeMorgan's theorem for two variables

X'Y' = X' + Y'

' is the bars that are above the letters.

Can someone explain this to me? I mean the truth table is just going to look like this: X'Y' X' Y'
I just need to know where and 0's and 1's go and why. Seems so easy, but I haven't been able to understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
XodoX said:
1. Demonstrate by means of truth tables the validity of the following identities.

a) DeMorgan's theorem for two variables

X'Y' = X' + Y'

' is the bars that are above the letters.

Can someone explain this to me? I mean the truth table is just going to look like this: X'Y' X' Y'
I just need to know where and 0's and 1's go and why. Seems so easy, but I haven't been able to understand it.

Your table will have 4 coulmns. Fist is X, second is Y, third is X'Y' and forth is X' + Y'.

Well, except that I think you forgot something in your statement of DeMorgan's Law.

EDIT -- it's just a typo in how you wrote it out...

berkeman said:
Your table will have 4 coulmns. Fist is X, second is Y, third is X'Y' and forth is X' + Y'.

Well, except that I think you forgot something in your statement of DeMorgan's Law.

EDIT -- it's just a typo in how you wrote it out...

Thanks. I just thought it was 3. How do I find out about the 0's and 1's ? I know DeMorgan's but don't know how to apply it to this one.

XodoX said:
Thanks. I just thought it was 3. How do I find out about the 0's and 1's ? I know DeMorgan's but don't know how to apply it to this one.

(hint -- check out the wikipedia.org page on DeMorgan's Law...)

Truth tables are a tool used in logic and mathematics to help determine the validity of statements or expressions. They are particularly useful in proving identities, such as DeMorgan's theorem for two variables.

To understand how truth tables work, let's first define some terms. In a truth table, the variables (in this case, X and Y) represent statements or propositions that can either be true (1) or false (0). The operations being performed, represented by the symbols ' (not) and + (or), are logical operators that combine these statements.

Now, let's break down the expression X'Y' = X' + Y'. This is saying that the negation (') of X AND the negation of Y are equivalent to the negation of X OR Y. In other words, if X and Y are both false, then the negation of both X and Y is also false. Similarly, if either X or Y (or both) are false, then the negation of either X or Y (or both) is also false.

To prove this using a truth table, we need to exhaust all possible combinations of X and Y and see if the statement holds true for each one. In this case, there are four possible combinations:

X Y X' Y' X'Y' X' + Y'
0 0 1 1 1 1
0 1 1 0 0 0
1 0 0 1 0 0
1 1 0 0 0 0

As you can see, in each row, the value for X'Y' is the same as the value for X' + Y'. This proves that the two sides of the equation are equivalent, and therefore DeMorgan's theorem for two variables is valid.

In summary, truth tables are a way to systematically test all possible combinations of statements and operators to determine the validity of an expression. They may seem confusing at first, but with practice and understanding of the underlying logic, they can be a powerful tool in proving mathematical identities.

Related to Why Is DeMorgan's Theorem Valid According to Truth Tables?

What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of the possible combinations of truth values (true or false) for a logical expression. It shows the output of the expression for each possible input combination.

Why are truth tables used in logic?

Truth tables are used in logic to help determine the validity of logical arguments and to test the truth or falsity of complex logical statements. They provide a clear and systematic way of evaluating logical expressions.

How do you construct a truth table?

To construct a truth table, you first list all the possible combinations of truth values for the variables in the expression. Then, you evaluate the expression for each combination and write the output in a table format.

What is the purpose of truth tables?

The purpose of truth tables is to help determine the truth or falsity of logical statements and to identify the logical relationships between statements. They also aid in simplifying complex logical expressions and identifying patterns in them.

Are there any limitations to truth tables?

Yes, truth tables can become very complex and time-consuming to construct for longer logical expressions. They also do not provide any information about the underlying meaning or context of the logical statements.