Trying to understand entanglement and "dense coding"

In summary, the conversation discusses the topics of computer bits, entanglement, and nonlocality. The speaker recommends a book on quantum computation and information for a better understanding of these concepts. They also mention needing a background in linear algebra.
Avner
First, how is a computer bit attached to a photon? Why does entanglement allow for two bits? How is it nonlocal?

Physics news on Phys.org
With these questions you are jumping into the deep end of the pool. It will take a lot background knowledge to understand the answers. For a good introduction to the topic, I recommend Nielsen and Chuang's book Quantum Computation and Quantum Information. It's a challenge, but you can get through it if you are competent at linear algebra.

Likes Heikki Tuuri
Thanks for pointing me towards the book. I am reading another book on entanglement and it used dense coding as an example, but it was very brief; I wanted to get a better understanding of it. I haven't taken linear algebra yet, so I will refer back to this when I get there.

Related to Trying to understand entanglement and "dense coding"

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other particles, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does entanglement work?

Entanglement occurs when particles are created or interact in a way that their properties become correlated. This means that measuring the state of one particle will instantly determine the state of the other particle, even if they are separated by large distances.

3. What is the significance of entanglement?

Entanglement is significant because it allows for the transmission of information and communication through quantum channels. It also plays a crucial role in quantum computing and cryptography, as well as our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

4. What is dense coding?

Dense coding is a quantum communication protocol that uses entanglement to transmit information between two parties more efficiently than classical methods. It involves encoding classical information into quantum states and then sending them through entangled particles.

5. How is entanglement and dense coding being used in practical applications?

Entanglement and dense coding are being explored for use in quantum communication, cryptography, and computing. They have the potential to greatly enhance the speed and security of information transmission and processing, but more research and development is needed before they can be implemented on a large scale.