Two linear transformations agree, subspace

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two linear transformations T and U from vector space V to W, and the set of all x in V such that T(x) = U(x). It is determined that this set is a subspace of V and the dimension of this space is related to the nullities of T and U. However, there is no direct relationship between the nullities and what the linear transformations do outside their null spaces.
1MileCrash
I've been up way too long, so pardon me if this doesn't make sense, but..

Let V and W be vector spaces.
Let T and U be linear transformations from V to W.

Consider the set of all x in V such that T(x) = U(x)

1.) I think that this is a subspace of V.
2.) Can I say anything about its dimension?

The dimension is at most V, when the two transformations are the same. What is the minimum dimension in terms of dimensions for V, W, null spaces, or ranges?

Is it AT LEAST the smaller of the two nullities?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are lots of examples for T and U where the only element they map equally is 0. If U = aT (a not = 1) for example.

PeroK said:
There are lots of examples for T and U where the only element they map equally is 0. If U = aT (a not = 1) for example.

Surely..

But if T and U only map from 0 equally, then the nullspace of either T or U is just {0}.

That's why I think the minimum dimension of this space can be related to the nullities of T and U.

It's only if the nullities of T & U exceed the dimension of V that they must have more than 0 in common! And, then you could have anything from NullT + NullU - DimV to min{NullT, Null U}

PeroK said:
It's only if the nullities of T & U exceed the dimension of V that they must have more than 0 in common!

OK, I understand. But how could we have nullities that exceed the dimension of V? Isn't the nullspace a subspace of V?

EDIT or do you mean the sum of the two nullities?

Yes the sum of the nullities. And, what goes on outside the null spaces is equally independent. They may have no null vectors in common (except 0) but be equivalent outside of NullT U NullU

I think I am confusing myself. Could you maybe see something wrong with the following?

Let T and R be arbitrary linear transformations.

rank(T+R) <= rank(T) + rank(R)

(dim-null)(T+R) <= (dim-null)(T) + (dim-null)(R)
null(T+R) >= null(T) + null(R)
null(T+R) >= max{null(T), null(R)}

Let (T+R)(x0) = 0
Then T(x0) + R(x0) = 0
So T(x0) = -R(x0)
So nullspace(T+R) = {k | T(k) = -R(k)}

Thus

dim{k | T(k) = -R(k)} >= max{null(T), null(U)}

Now let U(x) = -R(x)

dim{k | T(k) = U(k)} >= max{null(T), null(-U)}

And, null(-U) = null(U)

dim{k | T(k) = U(k)} >= max{null(T), null(U)}Thanks again.

You can think of your subspace as the kernel of the linear map [itex]T-U[/itex].

Whoops. I see you were already basically doing that. My bad.

1MileCrash said:
I think I am confusing myself. Could you maybe see something wrong with the following?

Let T and R be arbitrary linear transformations.

rank(T+R) <= rank(T) + rank(R)

(dim-null)(T+R) <= (dim-null)(T) + (dim-null)(R)

PK: this doesn't hold. Consider R = -T.

null(T+R) >= null(T) + null(R)
null(T+R) >= max{null(T), null(R)}

Let (T+R)(x0) = 0
Then T(x0) + R(x0) = 0
So T(x0) = -R(x0)
So nullspace(T+R) = {k | T(k) = -R(k)}

Thus

dim{k | T(k) = -R(k)} >= max{null(T), null(U)}

Now let U(x) = -R(x)

dim{k | T(k) = U(k)} >= max{null(T), null(-U)}

And, null(-U) = null(U)

dim{k | T(k) = U(k)} >= max{null(T), null(U)}

PK: This is not true. Consider T to be unity matrix with 0 in the (1,1) place. And U to be twice the unity matrix with 0 in the (2, 2) place. Then:

T(k) = U(k) only for 0. But null(T) = null(U) = 1.

Thanks again.

T & U could each be null on half the basis vectors (different halves), so be different on every vector except 0.

There is no relationship between what the LT's do outside their null spaces and how big their null spaces are.

I greatly appreciate the insight, PeroK. I will think about these things.

Related to Two linear transformations agree, subspace

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the structure of the vector space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector.

2. What does it mean for two linear transformations to agree?

When two linear transformations agree, it means that they produce the same output when applied to the same input. In other words, they have the same result for every vector in their common domain.

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that also satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

4. How can I tell if two linear transformations agree?

To determine if two linear transformations agree, you can apply them to the same input vector and compare their outputs. If they produce the same result, then they agree.

5. Why is it important for two linear transformations to agree in a subspace?

If two linear transformations agree in a subspace, it means that they have the same behavior within that subspace. This is important because it allows us to generalize the properties of one linear transformation to the other, making it easier to solve equations and perform other mathematical operations.