Two-point correlation function in path integral formulation

In summary, the two-point correlation function for a Lagrangian with no interactions can be calculated using the path integral formulation. When adding an interaction, the new action can be written as S = S_0 + S_I and the new two-point correlation function is a product of the old expression and \exp[iS_I]. However, a series expansion is needed for the new 2-point correlation function.
besprnt
Suppose that I have already calculated the two-point correlation function for a Lagrangian with no interations using the path integral formulation.
[tex]\langle \Omega | T[\phi(x)\phi(y)] | \Omega \rangle = \frac{ \int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x)\phi(y) \exp[iS_0] }{ \int \mathcal{D}\phi \exp[iS_0] }.[/tex]
If I now add an interaction, such that the new action may be written as [itex]S = S_0 + S_I,[/itex] the new two-point correlation function is obviously
[tex]\langle \Omega | T[\phi(x)\phi(y)] | \Omega \rangle = \frac{ \int \mathcal{D}\phi \phi(x)\phi(y) \exp[i(S_0+S_I)] }{ \int \mathcal{D}\phi \exp[i(S_0+S_I)] }.[/tex]
My question is:
Would I have to do the calculations again for the new expression? Or is there some short cut, such as factoring out [itex]\exp[iS_I][/itex] so that the new expression is a product of the old expression and [itex]\exp[iS_I][/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, the new 2-point correlation functions will be some nonlinear function of the 'free one'. Therefore you need a series expansion for it, in the same way you need it for the generating functional(s).

Related to Two-point correlation function in path integral formulation

1. What is a two-point correlation function?

A two-point correlation function is a mathematical tool used to describe the correlation between two points in a system. In the context of path integral formulation, it is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another in a given amount of time.

2. How is a two-point correlation function related to path integrals?

In path integral formulation, the two-point correlation function is derived from the path integral itself. It represents the sum of all possible paths between two points, with each path weighted by its corresponding action. This allows us to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another.

3. What information can we obtain from a two-point correlation function?

A two-point correlation function provides information about the behavior and dynamics of a system. It can reveal the strength and direction of correlations between two points, as well as the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. It can also be used to calculate physical observables, such as the energy or momentum of a particle.

4. How is a two-point correlation function calculated?

To calculate a two-point correlation function, we first need to construct the path integral for the system. This involves summing over all possible paths between the two points of interest. Then, we integrate over all possible values of the system's variables, such as position and momentum. The resulting expression is the two-point correlation function.

5. What are the applications of a two-point correlation function?

A two-point correlation function has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum field theory. It is used to calculate physical observables, such as scattering amplitudes and decay rates. It is also an important tool in statistical mechanics, where it can be used to study phase transitions and critical phenomena.