Two questions about angular momentum in the nuclear shell model?

In summary: My other question is, what is the total spin of this carbon-12 nucleus?I'm sorry, but I can't answer that.
jeebs
Hi,
I have a couple of questions about the spin of an atomic nucleus.

Say I had a carbon-12 nucleus, which is 6 protons and 6 neutrons. The Pauli exclusion principle tells us that these should be arranged in shells determined by their orbital angular momenta and spins.

So, the shell order goes 1s, 1p, 1d, 2s, 1f, 2p... and the s shell has orbital quantum number l=0, the p shell l=1, and so on, like electrons in atoms, right?

In the s-shell, there are 2 possible states, one for spin up, one for spin down.
In the p-shell, there are 2(2l + 1) states = 2(2 + 1) = 2(3) = 6 available states.

Also, the shells have a spin-orbit interaction, ie. j = l + s.

This gives us the possible values of the quantum number j of |l+s| to |l-s|
ie. j = 1+(1/2) to 1-(1/2)
= 3/2 and 1/2

Now in the j=3/2 level, there are 4 mj states available: -3/2, -1/2, +1/2 and +3/2
and in the j=1/2 level, there are 2 mj states: -1/2 and +1/2.

So, in this nucleus we have 6 protons. They fill up the shell levels from the lowest states, so the 1s shell gets filled, and from what I can gather, the 1p3/2 level gets filled up.

My first question is, why does this level get filled up first and not the j=1/2 level? Am I right in thinking that the 3/2 level corresponds to the orbital and spin angular momentum vectors adding in the same direction, anf the 1/2 level corresponds to the spin and orbital angular momentum vectors opposing each other?

If so, shouldn't the 1/2 level be at a lower energy and therefore filled up first, seeing as if there is less total angular momentum the nucleus should be in a less excited state?

My other question is, what is the total spin of this carbon-12 nucleus?

Do the spins of each successive nucleon added to the nucleus go in alternating up, down, up, down order, meaning that for an even number of protons they would contribute no spin angular moment to the overall nuclear spin (with the same being true for neutrons)?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
Hi,
My first question is, why does this level get filled up first and not the j=1/2 level? Am I right in thinking that the 3/2 level corresponds to the orbital and spin angular momentum vectors adding in the same direction, anf the 1/2 level corresponds to the spin and orbital angular momentum vectors opposing each other?
It just happens that the nucleon spin-orbit (s.L) interaction is such that the
J=(L+s) state has considrably lower energy than the J=L-s) state.

Last edited by a moderator:
C^12 has spin 0. I think that all even-even nuclei have spin zero.
The spins add just like in your last paragraph.

Related to Two questions about angular momentum in the nuclear shell model?

1. What is the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model is a theoretical model used to describe the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It is based on the concept of shells, similar to the electron shells in an atom, but in this case, it refers to the energy levels of protons and neutrons within the nucleus. The model helps to explain the stability and properties of different isotopes.

2. How does angular momentum play a role in the nuclear shell model?

In the nuclear shell model, the nucleons (protons and neutrons) are arranged in energy levels or shells, with each shell having a specific value of angular momentum. This angular momentum plays a crucial role in determining the stability and behavior of the nucleus. It also helps to explain certain nuclear phenomena, such as nuclear spin and magnetic moments.

3. What is the significance of magic numbers in the nuclear shell model?

Magic numbers refer to the specific numbers of protons or neutrons that are considered to be particularly stable in the nuclear shell model. These numbers are 2, 8, 20, 28, 50, 82, and 126. Nuclei with these numbers of nucleons are more likely to have a closed shell structure, making them more stable and less likely to undergo nuclear reactions.

4. How does the nuclear shell model explain nuclear binding energy?

The nuclear shell model helps to explain nuclear binding energy, which is the energy that holds the nucleons together in the nucleus. According to the model, the nucleons in a closed shell have lower energy levels, making them more tightly bound and thus contributing to a higher nuclear binding energy. This explains why certain nuclei with magic numbers of nucleons are more stable.

5. What are some limitations of the nuclear shell model?

The nuclear shell model is a simplified theoretical model and does not account for all the complexities of the nucleus. It does not explain the behavior of nuclei that do not have magic numbers of nucleons, and it does not account for the interactions between nucleons. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of nuclear spin and magnetic moments on the energy levels of the nucleons.