Two spheres of are dropped to ground while in contact.

In summary: There is no justification given for treating the collision as two separate collisions. It just happens that this is the solution.
SiddhantRai
Member advised to fill out the template, especially the attempt at solution, for all homework help requests.
Two spheres of different masses are dropped to ground.They are in contact as one above the other and are of masses, let’s say m and 2m.They are dropped with velocity v - My question is if we can conserve momentum and if we can why?And how to find the final velocity of upper ball after collision with ground.

- (I have worked on the question because many of the regulators have said that I don’t show effort.)

- I’ve been thinking to use Impuse to calculate the velocity by calculating net Impulse on lower block. I’m stuck as I have three unknowns and only two eqations.

Physics news on Phys.org
SiddhantRai said:
TI have worked on the question ...
and you have shown zero work here. When the moderators say you have not shown any effort, they mean exactly that. SAYING that you have made an effort is NOT showing the effort.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and SiddhantRai
phinds said:
and you have shown zero work here. When the moderators say you have not shown and effort, they mean exactly that. SAYING that you have made an effort is NOT showing the effort.
So please tell me what extra info you need. If you need some of my rough work I will post that. I just didn’t because I’m having trouble with the concept and don’t think it would matter.
Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude. Please help.

SiddhantRai said:
So please tell me what extra info you need. If you need some of my rough work I will post that. I just didn’t because I’m having trouble with the concept and don’t think it would matter.
Sorry I didn’t mean to be rude. Please help.
You have implied that you did some math. Show the math (and be sure to be clear about what it represents).

SiddhantRai said:
if we can conserve momentum
What are the conditions for the linear momentum of a system to be conserved?
SiddhantRai said:
how to find the final velocity of upper ball
What other physical laws might be useful?
SiddhantRai said:
only two eqations
What two equations?

Last edited:
I am suspicious of these "two stacked balls" problems. The solution always seems to depend on treating the process as two separate collisions, the lower ball with the ground, then that bounced ball with the upper ball. How that is justified I am not sure.

Related to Two spheres of are dropped to ground while in contact.

What is meant by "two spheres are dropped to ground while in contact"?

When we say that two spheres are dropped to the ground while in contact, it means that two spheres are falling towards the ground while touching each other. This could happen if the spheres are attached or if they simply happen to be in contact with each other when they are dropped.

What happens when two spheres are dropped to ground while in contact?

When two spheres are dropped to the ground while in contact, they will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity. However, their motion may be affected by other factors such as air resistance and their shape.

Will the spheres separate while falling towards the ground?

It is possible for the spheres to separate while falling towards the ground, depending on the initial conditions and forces acting on them. If the spheres are attached, they will likely remain in contact. But if they are simply touching each other, they may separate due to air resistance or other external forces.

Can the spheres collide with each other while falling?

Yes, it is possible for the spheres to collide with each other while falling. This could happen if the spheres are attached and their motion is disturbed, causing them to hit each other. It could also happen if the spheres are simply in contact and are affected by external forces that cause them to collide.

What factors can affect the motion of the spheres when dropped to ground while in contact?

The motion of the spheres when dropped to ground while in contact can be affected by various factors such as air resistance, their shape, their mass, and any external forces acting on them. The initial conditions of the drop, such as the height from which they are dropped and their initial velocity, can also affect their motion.