Type of systems of gauss-jordan elimination product

In summary: Compare the normals of the three planes in the system.In summary, using Gauss-Jordan elimination, the intersection points for the given systems are: a) (0,0,0), b) (0,0,1), and c) (1,-3,0). To identify the type of system geometrically, you must determine if the planes intersect at a single point, a line, or a plane. To verify your solution using normals, compare the normals of the planes in each system to see if they are multiples of one another.
Random-Hero-

Homework Statement

Using Gauss-Jordan elimination determine the intersection of the following systems. Identify the type of system geometrically.

a) 3x-2y+z=0
4x-5y+7z=0
6x+3y=0

b) x-2y+3z=0
x+y-z=4
2x-4y+6z=5

c) x+y+2z=-2
3x-y+4z=6
x+2y=-5

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the following intersections for the above systems.

a) (0,0,0)
b) (0,0,1)
c) (1,-3,0)

However, how do I "identify the system geometrically"? Also, how would identify the type of system and verify my solution using the normals of the planes?

I'm having a lot of trouble with this, if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Random-Hero- said:

Homework Statement

Using Gauss-Jordan elimination determine the intersection of the following systems. Identify the type of system geometrically.

a) 3x-2y+z=0
4x-5y+7z=0
6x+3y=0

b) x-2y+3z=0
x+y-z=4
2x-4y+6z=5

c) x+y+2z=-2
3x-y+4z=6
x+2y=-5

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the following intersections for the above systems.

a) (0,0,0)
b) (0,0,1)
c) (1,-3,0)

However, how do I "identify the system geometrically"? Also, how would identify the type of system and verify my solution using the normals of the planes?

I'm having a lot of trouble with this, if anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

You should check your work on b. (0, 0, 1) is not a point on any of the three planes. Your answers for parts a and c seem to be correct, but it's possible that there are more solutions than those you show.

As for identifying the type of system, each system of equation you show represents three planes in space. The planes can intersect a) not at all (no single point of intersection common to all three planes), b) in a single point, c) in a line (two planes are identical but not parallel to a third), and d) in a plane (all three planes are identical).

As for verifying your solution using normals, I believe this is meant to be used when you have concluded that the planes are parallel. If they are parallel, their normals will be multiples of one another.

Related to Type of systems of gauss-jordan elimination product

1. What is the purpose of using Gauss-Jordan elimination in solving systems of equations?

The purpose of using Gauss-Jordan elimination is to transform a system of equations into an equivalent system that is easier to solve. This method involves systematically eliminating variables from the equations until a solution is found.

2. How does Gauss-Jordan elimination differ from other methods of solving systems of equations?

Gauss-Jordan elimination differs from other methods, such as substitution or elimination, in that it eliminates variables from both sides of the equation simultaneously. This allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to be obtained.

3. Can Gauss-Jordan elimination be used for any type of system of equations?

Yes, Gauss-Jordan elimination can be used for any type of system of equations, including those with three or more variables. It is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using Gauss-Jordan elimination?

While Gauss-Jordan elimination is a powerful method for solving systems of equations, it does have some limitations. It can become more time-consuming and complex for larger systems with many variables, and it may not always produce a unique solution if the system is inconsistent or has infinite solutions.

5. Are there any real-world applications for Gauss-Jordan elimination?

Yes, Gauss-Jordan elimination has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations that arise in these fields, such as calculating forces in a structural system or finding optimal solutions to financial equations.