UK Plutonium Problem: Fast Reactor or MOx Plant?

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk
In summary, there is a current debate in the UK on whether to retry a MOx plant or explore the use of Fast Reactor technology to dispose of the country's plutonium stocks. The University of Manchester is providing expert input to GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy in promoting the use of Prism fast reactors. Some individuals suggest going with the two-pack of GEH Fast Reactors as a solution for disposal and power production. However, there are concerns about getting rid of the expensive weapon-grade plutonium and the potential need for it in the future. Others question the necessity of disposing of the plutonium rather than simply storing it securely.
koab1mjr
I was curious to know the PF communities opinion on the recent press the UK has been generating in its choice on retrying a MOx plant or dabbling with a Fast Reactor Tech

How would you all vote if you were in charge?

I am for fast reactors since the industry needs the push but I am biased as a young person in the field.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd say they should go with the two pack of GEH Fast Reactors. Get rid of the plutonium and produce power while they're at it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thermalne said:
I'd say they should go with the two pack of GEH Fast Reactors. Get rid of the plutonium and produce power while they're at it!

Why should we get rid of the plutonium (I assume weapon grade)? It was produced at horrendous expense. If we burn it now and then need it again (asteroid blasting?), we will need to make it again.

What's the problem with just storing it somewhere secure?

I understand the importance of considering all factors and making evidence-based decisions in such matters. In this case, the choice between a fast reactor or MOx plant should be based on a thorough analysis of various factors such as safety, cost, efficiency, and environmental impact.

While both options have their advantages and disadvantages, it is crucial to prioritize safety and minimize potential risks. Fast reactors have the potential to generate more energy and reduce the amount of plutonium waste, but they also come with safety concerns such as the risk of nuclear proliferation and accidents.

On the other hand, MOx plants may have a lower risk of proliferation and accidents, but they also have higher costs and produce more long-lived radioactive waste. Therefore, a careful evaluation of these factors is necessary to make an informed decision.

In my opinion, it is essential to invest in research and development to improve the safety and efficiency of fast reactors before implementing them on a larger scale. This will not only address safety concerns but also pave the way for a more sustainable and reliable energy source in the future.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on a holistic approach, considering all aspects and finding a balance between meeting energy demands and ensuring safety and sustainability. As for my vote, I would support further research and development in fast reactor technology while also exploring other alternative energy sources.

Related to UK Plutonium Problem: Fast Reactor or MOx Plant?

1. What is the UK Plutonium Problem?

The UK Plutonium Problem refers to the large amount of plutonium that has accumulated in the United Kingdom due to the country's nuclear power program.

2. Why is this a problem?

Plutonium is a highly radioactive and toxic substance that has a half-life of 24,000 years. It poses a significant risk to human health and the environment if not properly managed and disposed of. The large amount of plutonium in the UK poses a potential security risk and adds to the overall cost of managing the country's nuclear waste.

3. What are Fast Reactors and MOx Plants?

Fast Reactors are a type of nuclear reactor that use fast-moving neutrons to sustain a chain reaction, producing energy and creating new fuel from the transmutation of nuclear waste. MOx Plants are facilities that produce Mixed Oxide (MOx) fuel, which is a blend of plutonium and uranium oxides used in nuclear reactors.

4. How do these options address the UK Plutonium Problem?

Both Fast Reactors and MOx Plants offer potential solutions to the UK Plutonium Problem by utilizing the accumulated plutonium as fuel. This reduces the amount of plutonium that needs to be stored and disposed of as waste, and also provides a source of energy. However, both options also have their own challenges and considerations that need to be carefully evaluated.

5. Which option is better for addressing the UK Plutonium Problem?

There is no clear answer to this question, as both Fast Reactors and MOx Plants have their own advantages and disadvantages. It ultimately depends on various factors such as cost, safety, and public acceptance. Extensive research and evaluation are needed to determine the most suitable option for addressing the UK Plutonium Problem.