Unanswered Questions in Popular Science: Exploring the Gaps in Quantum Physics

In summary, there are still many unanswered questions in the field of quantum physics, despite significant progress in understanding this complex scientific area. Some of the gaps include the nature of dark matter and dark energy, the concept of quantum entanglement, and the fundamental principles behind wave-particle duality. While scientists have made remarkable discoveries and advancements in quantum physics, there is still much more to be explored and understood about the fundamental nature of our universe.
thegroundhog
How did you find PF?
This site was recommended by Sean Carroll after I emailed him with two queries regarding quantum physics.
I read a lot of popular science books, especially on quantum physics. My favourite authors are Brian Cox, Sean Carroll, Jim Al-Khalili, Marcus du Sautoy and Brian Greene. I have joined this forum as the more I read the more questions I have that are not covered in detail by the above writers.

For instance Jim Al-Khalili, in one of his documentaries, talked about the double slit experiment as if the observer was in the room with the equipment, tiptoeing to the off switch of the detector, whereupon when he turns it off the diffraction pattern appears again. Not helpful, as if he was in the room, decoherence would have happened. I don't think any of them have mentioned that the experiment has to be done in a vacuum.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind if I pepper your forums with questions that have been bugging me.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

You've made us all nervous now wondering if Sean Carroll might be reading our posts!

• Haha
Likes berkeman, phinds and thegroundhog