Uncertainity Principle: possible to know the momentum and position?

In summary: This is because the act of measurement itself changes the state of the particle. As for calculating the original momentum, it is not possible because the act of measurement has already altered the state of the particle. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.
Praveen Vijayan
The principle states it is impossible to 'simultaneously' know the position and momentum(velocity)of an object. Position is something that can be noted at a particular instant, as from a photograph whereas velocity is something that can only be measured over a period of time,as from a movie. The principle doesn't prevent us from knowing the exact position of an object. Thus isn't it possible to take "photographs" of the particle for a long enough period and to know the trajectory it traces? So is it that, it is possible to know the momentum and position of a particle at any instant in the past and impossible to know at the present moment?

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

The reason is once you measure the position exactly its momentum becomes unknown. So every time you measure its position to trace out the path that path changes.

Thanks
Bill

Would it essentially induce Brownian motion?

Praveen Vijayan said:
The principle states it is impossible to 'simultaneously' know the position and momentum(velocity)of an object. Position is something that can be noted at a particular instant, as from a photograph whereas velocity is something that can only be measured over a period of time,as from a movie. The principle doesn't prevent us from knowing the exact position of an object. Thus isn't it possible to take "photographs" of the particle for a long enough period and to know the trajectory it traces? So is it that, it is possible to know the momentum and position of a particle at any instant in the past and impossible to know at the present moment?

I think you are having the same https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/misconception-of-the-heisenberg-uncertainty-principle.765720/ that a lot of people have.

Please note that the uncertainty in each of the value involves the "statistical average" of that value. What is the statistical average of ONE single measurement of a quantity?

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff
ddd123 said:
Would it essentially induce Brownian motion?

Not really. Because with Brownian motion it has specific values of position and momentum that changes when it collides with other objects.

There is an interesting connection however. The path integral approach to QM is essentially a Weiner process (that's a Brownian motion process) in imaginary time. Why that is, is a deep foundational principle of QM first sorted out by Feynman. In QM complex numbers equals 'mystery':
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0653.pdf

Well when I mystery I mean 'surface' mystery. Its equally deep answer is that its required for continuous transformations of so called pure states:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Praveen Vijayan said:
Position is something that can be noted at a particular instant

But, do instants (duration-less time intervals) exist? I have heard about Zeno's arrow paradox, which seems to conclude non-existence of instants. But, I am not sure.

Sorry, if this is confusing more for the OP. But, I wish if this could also be solved here in short words. Thank you.

Vinay080 said:
But, do instants (duration-less time intervals) exist? I have heard about Zeno's arrow paradox, which seems to conclude non-existence of instants. But, I am not sure.

Sorry, if this is confusing more for the OP. But, I wish if this could also be solved here in short words. Thank you.

In short words: Yes, instants exist and Zeno's paradox is wrong.

If you want a longer and more satisfying answer (which would be reasonable, as the answer I just gave is not especially satisfying) it would be best to start a new thread... but if you do, take a moment to find some of the other threads here that discuss Zeno's paradox. You may find that the answer is already out there.

Likes Vinay080
There present h/mc value,
but if we consider h/mv
where v is nonrelativistic
then it seems all right.

Nugatory said:
In short words: Yes, instants exist and Zeno's paradox is wrong.

Just as a heads up on background material examining that, either to sort it out yourself or prior to a new thread, real analysis is the area that explains it eg:
http://ramanujan.math.trinity.edu/wtrench/texts/TRENCH_REAL_ANALYSIS.PDF

It was one of the great achievements of 19th century mathematics sorting this out.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Vinay080
bhobba said:
No.

The reason is once you measure the position exactly its momentum becomes unknown. So every time you measure its position to trace out the path that path changes.

But knowing the change in momentum caused by the measurement isn't it possible to calculate the original momentum? In that way I could trace the path that the particle would have taken if there were no measuring process. I think it is somewhat like measuring the strength of a rod by breaking it.

Praveen Vijayan said:
But knowing the change in momentum caused by the measurement isn't it possible to calculate the original momentum?

We do not know the change in momentum; we know that the position measurement has changed the momentum, but we do not know by how much.

Likes bhobba

Related to Uncertainity Principle: possible to know the momentum and position?

What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

What is the significance of the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It shows that at the subatomic level, the act of measurement itself can affect the properties of a particle, making it impossible to accurately measure both position and momentum at the same time.

How does the Uncertainty Principle relate to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle is often referred to as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, after the German physicist Werner Heisenberg who first proposed the concept. Heisenberg's version states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we can know about its momentum, and vice versa.

Is it possible to know both the momentum and position of a particle at the same time?

No, according to the Uncertainty Principle, it is impossible to know both the exact momentum and position of a particle simultaneously. This is due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the fact that the act of measurement itself affects the properties of a particle.

Are there any exceptions to the Uncertainty Principle?

No, the Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and applies to all particles at the subatomic level. There are no known exceptions to this principle.