Uncovering the Physics of MotoGP's Knee Slider Technique

• B
  • Thread starter asdfqwe123
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of knee sliders made of rubber by MotoGP drivers to touch the ground while turning. One person suggests adding a small wheel to the sliders to reduce friction and increase lean. However, the physics behind this idea are questioned, including the potential for accidents and weight distribution issues. It is noted that the knee is mainly used for stability and emergency situations, rather than supporting the bike.
asdfqwe123
Hi :)
I have a question or maybe something more like a mind puzzle (at least for me :))
The drivers of MotoGP touch the ground with their knees while turning. For this purpuse they wear knee sliders made of rubber.
Now I was thinking how it would work if they added a small wheel to the knee sliders. This way there would be less friction and they could lean more.
Or am I wrong? Can somebody explain the physics behind this dragging your knee on the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
asdfqwe123 said:
Hi :)
I have a question or maybe something more like a mind puzzle (at least for me :))
The drivers of MotoGP touch the ground with their knees while turning. For this purpuse they wear knee sliders made of rubber.
Now I was thinking how it would work if they added a small wheel to the knee sliders. This way there would be less friction and they could lean more.
Or am I wrong? Can somebody explain the physics behind this dragging your knee on the ground?
Welcome to the PF.

The knee pucks are made of low-friction plastic, so you will not decrease the friction force much below what it is now. Riders mainly use the pucks as "feelers" to help them stabilize their lean angle.

besides that, a wheel has a preferred direction of travel. Suppose the riders knee touched down and the wheel was not pointed exactly parallel to the direction of travel. This could easily throw the rider off balance and cause an accident. An answer to this could be to use casters or spherical rollers, ,but then you'd still have the problem of the wheels jamming on small pebbles. Ever been pushing a shopping cart through a parking lot when one of the wheels suddenly stopped turning because a tiny rock which acted like a wheel chock?

I don't think you want to put weight on the knee (or any wheel mounted on it) if that results in less weight on the driving wheel?

I suspect there might also be something in the rules about motor bikes only having two wheels.

As I understand it they use the knee for two main reasons:

1) to help judge the lean angle and
2) in emergency when the bike starts to slide.

It's not normally used to keep the bike up.

Likes berkeman

Related to Uncovering the Physics of MotoGP's Knee Slider Technique

1. What is MotoGP?

MotoGP is the premier motorcycle racing championship in the world. It features the fastest and most skilled riders competing on high-performance bikes on various racetracks around the globe.

2. What are knee sliders?

Knee sliders are protective gear worn by MotoGP riders on their racing suits. They are made of a hard material, usually plastic, and are attached to the knees with velcro straps. They are designed to protect the rider's knees and also serve as a way to measure how low they can lean their bike while cornering.

3. Why do MotoGP riders use knee sliders?

MotoGP riders use knee sliders for two main reasons. Firstly, they provide protection to the rider's knees in case of a crash or fall. Secondly, they are used as a way to gauge how low the rider can lean their bike while taking a turn. This helps them maintain optimal control and speed while racing.

4. How do knee sliders affect the performance of the rider?

Knee sliders do not have a direct impact on the performance of the rider. However, they do play a crucial role in allowing the rider to maintain a low and aerodynamic position while cornering. This can ultimately affect the overall speed and control of the bike on the racetrack.

5. Are knee sliders mandatory in MotoGP?

Yes, knee sliders are mandatory for all MotoGP riders. They are considered an essential safety gear and are required by the governing body, the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), to be worn during all races. Failure to wear knee sliders can result in penalties or disqualification.