Understanding 3D Space Bending in General Relativity

In summary, space-time bends within itself in a concave manner towards mass or energy. This can be illustrated through analogies such as a bowling ball on a sheet of cloth or a magnet in the center of a stack of tennis rackets. The concept of curved space-time can be difficult to understand, especially when considering the possibility of more than three dimensions. Additionally, the speed of light, c, plays a crucial role in the concept of space-time and its curvature. Geodesics also play a role in understanding the bending of space-time.
p.tryon
General relativity tells us that space-time bends. In what direction does/can 3D space bend? If its bending is non-directional, in what sense does it bend? Can you suggest any analogies that would help student's understand this phenominon as they learn relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best analogy is probably to think of a bowling ball resting on a sheet of cloth. The bowling ball's presence causes the cloth to bend and warp, telling other objects around it how to move. To give you an analogy better than that is beyond my knowledge... I'd imagine space can bend and warp in many different ways, whether we realize it or not is another question...

Actually, here's another one in regards to worm holes... Imagine taking a piece of paper and drawing a line between two dots, one on each side of the sheet. Now imagine folding the sheet of paper in half and connecting the two dots together, the distance between the dots in higher dimensional space is now shorter than the distance the line had to cover across the sheet of paper.

Last edited:
p.tryon said:
General relativity tells us that space-time bends. In what direction does/can 3D space bend? If its bending is non-directional, in what sense does it bend?
Space bends within itself.

Imagine stacking a dozen tennis rackets together, face-to-face. The criss-crossing layers of strings - together with the stack - will form an orthagonal grid in 3 dimensions. Let's say string are all 1cm distance. Travel 1cm in any orthagonal direction (lengthwise, width-wise or even up/down-through-the-stack) and you weill arrive at another string.

Let's pretend all the rackets are strung with steel guitar strings.

Now, put a magnet in the centre of the stack of rackets. The sections of string closest to the magnet will all pull toward it, curving in all 3 dimensions away from straight. The sections farther from the magnet will remain almost straight.

If two ants were to walk along two strings next to each other, each walking at, say, 1cm per second, the one nearer the centre of the stack would have a longer distance to walk than his partner on the next string over. No matter which orientation the ants pick, (lengthwise, width-wise or up/down-through-the-stack) they will notice this discrepancy in their distances.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Space bends within itself.

Imagine stacking a dozen tennis rackets together, face-to-face. The criss-crossing layers of strings - together with the stack - will form an orthagonal grid in 3 dimensions. Let's say string are all 1cm distance. Travel 1cm in any orthagonal direction (lengthwise, width-wise or even up/down-through-the-stack) and you weill arrive at another string.

Let's pretend all the rackets are strung with steel guitar strings.

Now, put a magnet in the centre of the stack of rackets. The sections of string closest to the magnet will all pull toward it, curving in all 3 dimensions away from straight. The sections farther from the magnet will remain almost straight.

If two ants were to walk along two strings next to each other, each walking at, say, 1cm per second, the one nearer the centre of the stack would have a longer distance to walk than his partner on the next string over. No matter which orientation the ants pick, (lengthwise, width-wise or up/down-through-the-stack) they will notice this discrepancy in their distances.

That's a very good analogy to illustrate the experience of traveling through curved space, but I don't think it necessarily demonstrates space bending within itself. Perhaps I'm reading a bit too much into a simplified analogy, so if that's the case, I apologize in advance.

It seems that if we accept the premise that the strings themselves represent the possible paths through space, there is no way to bend them without introducing an outside force - something not located on a path defined by a string. If the 3-D space represented by the grid of strings does not exist within some higher dimensional space, then anything capable of acting on a string would have to be located within the confines of the strings themselves for the analogy to be valid.

I suppose my real concern is that for 3-D space to bend within itself, and not through a higher dimension, it would need to be a closed set of elements not dependent or even capable of interacting with an outside force. Are the individual elements within such a closed set capable of altering the structure of the set itself? Can they even exert forces or move in a "direction" required for such an alteration?

Spacetime bends in a concave manner toward mass, or its equivalent, energy...as the sheet analogy mentioned above. A mobius strip is one way to illustrate space is not so simple as we usually think it to be. It's also useful to mention that we are not even positive there are only three dimensions of space and one of time...string theory seems to suggest, for example, ten space and one time dimension...

The wormhole suggestion above is another good illustration showing how to think in different ways.

It's also helpful to consider that in cosmology (planets, univers,etc) most of space is pretty flat ...until you get in the area of singularities like black holes and perhaps the big bang singularities...

In FABRIC of the Cosmos, Brian Greene has an excellent sketch on page 61 (figure 3.7) illustrating constant velocity as a straight line in space time; uniform circular motion as a spiral corkscrew through spacetime and uniform acceleration as a parabola like curve.

A related concept is that we all move thru spacetime at a constant speed "c". If stationary, all our speed "c" is through time; if we move thru space then some of our speed is diverted from time (hence time passes more slowly) and we can only divert speed from time to space up to a maximum "c"...

And here's a recent post I made for further thought about what's curved and what is not: Is Spacetime Really Curved? https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308426

Finally, don't forget about geodesics...Wikipedia has a decent introduction...

Last edited:
My normal way of 'visualising' is to think of both the interior and exterior perspective. Take a strip of paper and imagine you are walking along it (with a force holding you to it's surface and giving you a 'down' direction). This will appear flat as you walk along it even if the physical paper is bending in some way. If the strip is small enough or you move fast enough then you will be able to notice the curvature easily. If the strip is huge and you move slowly, you could wander forever and never notice it was curving (but you could make observations that would show it was).

Now take the view of the paper from the exterior. It is obviously either flat or curved. This unfortunately is not a view we can take with space as we are constrained to the 'surface', but we can make the observations I mentioned earlier (light bending, relativistic effects, etc) and satisfy ourselves that space is 'curved' in some appropriate sense.

OB 50 said:
That's a very good analogy to illustrate the experience of traveling through curved space, but I don't think it necessarily demonstrates space bending within itself.
??

But in my analogy, the space got bent in the first few paragraphs, before I introduced the ants. The space was bent even if I hadn't introduced the ants traveling through it.

Thank you all for the thought provoking replies that helps. I am teaching relativity next and have never been taught it propely myself- but I am finding it fascinating to learn about it now! More questions to come... :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
??

But in my analogy, the space got bent in the first few paragraphs, before I introduced the ants. The space was bent even if I hadn't introduced the ants traveling through it.

I wasn't really taking the ants into consideration at all. The distinction I'm trying to make is pretty subtle, but I think it's important.

Maybe this model doesn't describe our universe, but it describes a universe, and its rules should remain internally consistent.

If the strings represent all possible paths through space-time, then nothing existing in that same space-time can be located anywhere other than a string. That's why I ignored the ants. They can't walk on the strings. They would have to be some aspect of the strings themselves to exist completely within the model you're imagining.

Same thing with the magnet. It has to be located "in" a string, otherwise it is analogous to a higher dimensional force, suggesting that the paths defined by the strings are being bent through a higher dimensional space, not within the space they define.

I'm also assuming that there are infinite strings, there are no literal "gaps" between them, and it's not really important how they are arranged. The more I think about it, your model seems to represent the strings as existing in 3-D space, but I understood it to mean that they were space. Maybe that's where the disconnect lies.

OB 50;218114al7 said:
If the strings represent all possible paths through space-time, then nothing existing in that same space-time can be located anywhere other than a string.

The more I think about it, your model seems to represent the strings as existing in 3-D space, but I understood it to mean that they were space.
Yeah, it's just a grid in 1cm increments. Nothing's stopping points existing between strings.

Maybe I'm answering the wrong question. I assumed you were trying to figure out how the 2-D funnel - which requires a 3rd dimension to distort into - is analagous to a 3D bend - without postulating a 4th dimension for it to distort into.

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, it's just a grid in 1cm increments. Nothing's stopping points existing between strings.

Maybe I'm answering the wrong question. I assumed you were trying to figure out how the 2-D funnel - which requires a 3rd dimension to distort into - is analagous to a 3D bend - without postulating a 4th dimension for it to distort into.

That's almost what I'm asking. I don't dispute that 3D space can be bent within itself, but how can we (existing in 3D space) tell the difference between that and distortion through a 4th dimension. Wouldn't it appear exactly the same to us?

p.tryon said:
General relativity tells us that space-time bends. In what direction does/can 3D space bend? If its bending is non-directional, in what sense does it bend?

Extrinsic curvature needs a direction to bend into. But intrinsic curvature doesn't. Spacetime doesn't bend, it is warped. Distances between coordinates are distorted. You could say spacetime is tighter packed in some areas.

p.tryon said:
Can you suggest any analogies that would help student's understand this phenominon as they learn relativity?

Check out the links in this post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2046692&postcount=4

Related to Understanding 3D Space Bending in General Relativity

1. What is 3D space bending in general relativity?

3D space bending in general relativity is a concept that explains how space and time are affected by massive objects, such as planets and stars. It suggests that these objects cause a curvature in the fabric of space-time, which results in the bending of light and the distortion of the perceived shape and size of objects.

2. How does 3D space bending relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity is a mathematical framework that describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity. 3D space bending is a fundamental concept in this theory, as it explains how gravity is not a force between objects, but rather the result of the bending of space and time caused by massive objects.

3. Can we observe 3D space bending in everyday life?

Yes, we can observe 3D space bending in everyday life. For example, the bending of light by massive objects, such as the sun, can be observed during a solar eclipse. We can also see the effects of 3D space bending in the orbits of planets and stars, as they follow curved paths due to the gravitational pull of other objects.

4. How is 3D space bending different from the bending of space-time in the theory of special relativity?

The bending of space-time in the theory of special relativity is related to the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower in the presence of high speeds. 3D space bending, on the other hand, is related to the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. While both theories involve the bending of space and time, they are fundamentally different concepts.

5. Can the effects of 3D space bending be measured and predicted?

Yes, the effects of 3D space bending can be measured and predicted using mathematical equations from general relativity. Scientists have been able to accurately predict the bending of light and the orbits of planets and stars using these equations. However, due to the complexity of the calculations, it can be challenging to measure and predict the effects of 3D space bending in extreme cases, such as near black holes.