Understanding Black Hole Shapes & Forms

In summary: Thanks for the clarification, it sounds similar to the Einstein static universe (my avatar), which is a cylinder when projected onto a screen (removing angular dimensions) and infinite in time vertically.I meant simply speaking the black hole is 4 dimensional meaning it lives in a four dimensional spacetime - three spatial dimensions and one time dimension, though I guess that's technically wrong to say!
davidge
Sorry, I'm not sure what is the more appropriate word to use: shape or form. Let's to the question:

How do we know what the shape of a given black hole is? I mean, how do we know whether it is spherical or whatever other form it has? Specifically, where do we look on the equations to get this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum of the black hole will affect its shape. With no angular momentum, it is spherical.

Likes davidge
.Scott said:
The angular momentum of the black hole will affect its shape. With no angular momentum, it is spherical.
Thanks, @.Scott.
And an expression for the angular momentum can be derived from the metric + Einstein Equations, correct?

Depending on the black hole in question, it can have a spherical shape or if a black hole is rotating, then it will be shaped as an oblate spheroid, slightly larger around the equator than in the direction of the poles. The terms in the equations of general relativity tell us that there are multiple radii, including the inner event horizon and the oblate spheroidal exterior surface on the outside where the region in between is the ergosphere. This is for the case of a spinning (Kerr) black hole.

Most studies of static Schwarzschild black holes suggest a spherical 4D shape i think.

Likes davidge
@Eliasben, your response was very helpful. Thanks

Likes Eliasben
The question is which "shape" you mean. A Schwarzschild black hole, e.g., is just a point at ##r=0## in the usual Schwarzschild coordinates. The event horizon, which you might also consider to define a black hole's shape is a sphere.

Likes davidge
Thanks vanhees71

vanhees71 said:
The event horizon, which you might also consider to define a black hole's shape is a sphere
Is it a sphere regardless of angular momentum?

Eliasben said:
Most studies of static Schwarzschild black holes suggest a spherical 4D shape i think.
Is that right? I'd think more like a 4-cylinder - a sphere in 3d but extended in time.

Likes vanhees71
Eliasben said:

No, they don't. The 2-sphere (or 2-spheroid) shape you mention is the shape of the horizon at a single instant. The full spacetime shape of the horizon, taking into account all instants, is a 3-cylinder--an infinite connected series of 2-spheres (or 2-spheroids).

If you want to interpret the "shape of the hole" to mean the "shape" of the interior as well as the horizon, things get even more complicated, because the 4-volume of the interior of the hole (whether it's rotating or not) is infinite. What's more, even the "shape" of the volume at a single "instant" is not invariant--it depends on your choice of coordinates. You can choose coordinates in which, at a single "instant", the volume is finite (basically the interior of the 2-sphere or 2-spheroid of the horizon), but you can also choose coordinates in which, at a single "instant", the volume is infinite. So the "shape" of the hole's interior isn't even well defined.

Ibix said:
I'd think more like a 4-cylinder - a sphere in 3d but extended in time.

It's not even that simple. See above.

Likes vanhees71, Fervent Freyja, Ibix and 1 other person
Ibix said:
Is that right? I'd think more like a 4-cylinder - a sphere in 3d but extended in time.

Thanks for the clarification, it sounds similar to the Einstein static universe (my avatar), which is a cylinder when projected onto a screen (removing angular dimensions) and infinite in time vertically. I meant simply speaking the black hole is 4 dimensional meaning it lives in a four dimensional spacetime - three spatial dimensions and one time dimension, though I guess that's technically wrong to say!

PeterDonis said:
No, they don't. The 2-sphere (or 2-spheroid) shape you mention is the shape of the horizon at a single instant. The full spacetime shape of the horizon, taking into account all instants, is a 3-cylinder--an infinite connected series of 2-spheres (or 2-spheroids).

If you want to interpret the "shape of the hole" to mean the "shape" of the interior as well as the horizon, things get even more complicated, because the 4-volume of the interior of the hole (whether it's rotating or not) is infinite. What's more, even the "shape" of the volume at a single "instant" is not invariant--it depends on your choice of coordinates. You can choose coordinates in which, at a single "instant", the volume is finite (basically the interior of the 2-sphere or 2-spheroid of the horizon), but you can also choose coordinates in which, at a single "instant", the volume is infinite. So the "shape" of the hole's interior isn't even well defined.
It's not even that simple. See above.
Sorry I meant to quote you on my previous reply too^

Related to Understanding Black Hole Shapes & Forms

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with incredibly strong gravitational pull that prevents anything, including light, from escaping. The concept was first proposed by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What shapes and forms can a black hole take?

Black holes are typically classified into three shapes: Schwarzschild, Kerr, and Reissner-Nordström. Schwarzschild black holes are spherical and have no electric charge or spin. Kerr black holes are flattened at the poles and have a spin. Reissner-Nordström black holes have a spherical shape and have both electric charge and spin.

3. How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars. When a star runs out of its nuclear fuel and can no longer sustain its own mass, it will collapse under its own gravity. If the star has a mass greater than three times that of our Sun, it will become a black hole.

4. What happens to matter that enters a black hole?

Once matter crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it is pulled towards the singularity at the center. As it gets closer to the singularity, it will experience extreme gravitational forces and be stretched and compressed until it is torn apart. This process is known as spaghettification.

5. Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot see black holes directly as they do not emit any light. However, we can observe the effects of their strong gravity on surrounding matter, such as the distortion of light from stars and gas as they orbit around the black hole. Scientists also use telescopes to detect the X-rays emitted from the hot gas as it falls into a black hole.