Understanding Double Line in LaTeX to Using // for Line Breaks

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Line
In summary, We discussed the use of double lines in ##\LaTeX## and how to achieve line breaks and paragraph breaks in a document. The correct command for a line break is "\\" and for a paragraph break is "\\\\". Other options such as "\\[24pt]" or "\bigskip \medskip \smallskip" are also available. The website claiming that "\\" starts a new paragraph is incorrect. We also learned about the "stretchy" feature of \bigskip, \medskip, and \smallskip, making them useful for filling up empty space on a page.
Bachelier
What is double line in ##LaTex?## I tried ##"//"## twice, but the compiler does not accept it.

The old ##" /linebreak[2] "## command does not work neither?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:
What is double line in ##LaTex?## I tried ##"//"## twice, but the compiler does not accept it.

The old ##" /linebreak[2] "## command does not work neither?

Thanks

Hi Bachelier! :smile:

Which double line do you mean in ##\LaTeX##?
Is it:
Code:
||   //   \backslash\backslash   \lVert   or   \parallel
These render as:
$$\quad || \quad // \quad \backslash\backslash \quad \lVert \quad \text{ or }\quad \parallel$$

In latex you can use \\ for a linebreak, although on this site it only works in a \begin{something} environment.
For instance:
Code:
\begin{aligned} a = b+1 \\ c = b-1 \end{aligned}
which renders as:
$$\begin{aligned} a = b+1 \\ c = b-1 \end{aligned}$$

Forgot to add the word "break" in my title. sorry.

Yeah I meant: "Doubleline breaks and more line breaks" to control the structure of one's document.

Thank you

Edgardo said:
You have to use "\\" and not "//" if you want a linebreak.
See here: http://www.personal.ceu.hu/tex/breaking.htm

That is what I meant. I was using "\\" but my compiler did not take it.
However the funny thing is that after rebooting my machine, now "\\" works for as many line breaks as I want.

Thanks for that doc. I tried "\\" but it just seems to give me a line break. It does not start a new paragraph like the website claims. \\* gives the same result.

I like Serena said:
Hi Bachelier! :smile:

On a different note my friends, to get line breaks (like 3 or 4) for styling the ##\LaTeX## document, is it a good modus operandi to use "\\" and "\\*"?

Bachelier said:
Thanks for that doc. I tried "\\" but it just seems to give me a line break. It does not start a new paragraph like the website claims. \\* gives the same result.
The website is wrong. (Given the .hu, maybe it lost something in translation from hungarian to english). The whole point of \\ is that it DOESN'T start a new paragraph (and therefore you don't get paragraph indentation, automatic extra space adjustment between paragraphs, etc).

Bachelier said:
On a different note my friends, to get line breaks (like 3 or 4) for styling the ##\LaTeX## document, is it a good modus operandi to use "\\" and "\\*"?

Probably not. I'm surprised several \\ in succession works at all. Actually I just tried it and it did work, but gave an "underfull hbox" warning. I expected to get an error message like "There's no line here to end" or something similar.

If you want one big gap, do \\[24pt] or whatever size you need.

Or better, use \bigskip \medskip or \smallskip. Those vertical spaces are "stretchy" so they adjust a bit to fill up the page correctly/ They also disappear if they happen to be at the end of a page, which is probably what you wanted.

AlephZero said:
Or better, use \bigskip \medskip or \smallskip. Those vertical spaces are "stretchy" so they adjust a bit to fill up the page correctly/ They also disappear if they happen to be at the end of a page, which is probably what you wanted.

Thank you ##|\mathbb{Z}_{>0}|##

BTW, what is your favorite command for paragraph breaks (i.e. to begin new paragraphs in the document)?

Related to Understanding Double Line in LaTeX to Using // for Line Breaks

1. What is the purpose of using // for line breaks in LaTeX?

The // command in LaTeX is used to create a line break without starting a new paragraph. This can be useful when formatting lists, equations, or other text where a new paragraph is not desired.

2. How do I use // to create a line break?

To use the // command, simply type two forward slashes (//) at the end of the line you want to break. Make sure there is no space between the last word and the //, as this will create an unwanted space in the document.

3. Can I use // in any document class in LaTeX?

Yes, the // command can be used in any document class in LaTeX, including article, report, book, and letter. However, it may not be necessary to use // in every document, as some document classes may automatically create line breaks at appropriate points.

4. Is there a limit to the number of // commands I can use in one line?

No, there is no limit to the number of // commands that can be used in one line. However, it is recommended to use them sparingly and only when necessary for readability and formatting purposes.

5. Can I customize the appearance of the line break created by //?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of the line break created by // by using the \newline command after the //. This will create a line break with no extra space, while \linebreak will create a line break with some extra space.