Understanding Email Message Source: A Problem Analysis

I am still learning how to use this forum. Here is my attempt at answering the questions:In summary, this email message was handled by multiple mail servers before reaching the recipient. The last line of the header is the "Content-Type" line, indicating the type of content in the following parts of the message. The body of the email consists of three parts - a plain text message, an attached image in PNG format, and a MIME message. The MIME message contains instructions for handling the different parts of the email.
overlyeducate
Consider the email message source below, and answer the questions that follow.

Return-path: <xxxx@xxxx.xxx>
Received: from cs.smith.edu (scinix.smith.edu [131.229.72.8])
by gwsmtp1.smith.edu with ESMTP; Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:17:33 -0400
Received: by cs.smith.edu (Postfix)
id D8D19EEC01; Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:17:33 -0400 (EDT)
Delivered-To: xxxx@xxxx.xxx
Received: from gwsmtp1.smith.edu (gwsmtp1.smith.edu [131.229.64.55])
by cs.smith.edu (Postfix) with SMTP id CB879EEA8A
for <xxxx@xxxx.xxx>; Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:17:33 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from SMTP1DOM-MTA by gwsmtp1.smith.edu
with Novell_GroupWise; Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:17:33 -0400
Message-Id: <4DBA90320200004200028743@gwsmtp1.smith.edu>
X-Mailer: Novell GroupWise Internet Agent 8.0.2
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:17:22 -0400
To: <xxxx@xxxx.xxx>
Subject: Exam Question
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="=__Part3519CF62.0__="
This is a MIME message. If you are reading this text, you may want to
consider changing to a mail reader or gateway that understands how to
properly handle MIME multipart messages.
--=__Part3519CF62.0__=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Content-Disposition: inline
See if you can figure out the different parts of this message. Good luck!
Nicholas R. Howe, Associate Professor
354 Ford Hall, Smith College
Northampton, MA 01063
(413) 585-3878 / xxxx@xxxx.xxx=20
--=__Part3519CF62.0__=
Content-Type: image/png; name="examimg.png"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="examimg.png"
iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAAoAAAAKCAIAAAACUFjqAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACx
jwv8YQUAAAAJcEhZcwAADsMAAA7DAcdvqGQAAABOSURBVChTY/iPFzAAZRkWvXgro4JJgqSAGCiH
aQRQNVQawkIGSht9gAi7bogcum6Icrg+iI0IuyESEEUQ96LbDZeDuxeqG6vfoLrxBAwAbHTqca9g
CtIAAAAASUVORK5CYII=
--=__Part3519CF62.0__=--

a.) How many times was this message handled by a mail server before it reached me?
b.) What is the last line of the header of this email (i.e., the line just before the body)?
c.) How many parts are there to the body of this email message?
d.) What type of content appears in each part of the message? (Please specify both the major and minor MIME type.)

Could I please have help with this problem? I've looked at it numerous times, but I honestly seem to be having trouble with all four parts. The way the message is set up seems to be confusing me. I would appreciate any help that I could get. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know. This is a homework question, and it was somewhat comfusing for me. I saw the address that you left, so I will look at it and see if it helps my cause. Thank you for letting me know.

overlyeducate said:
This is a homework question

Please read forum rules.

You have to show your attempts at solving the question to receive help. This is a forum policy.

Ok. Thank you for letting me know.

Related to Understanding Email Message Source: A Problem Analysis

What is an email message source?

An email message source is the underlying code or data that makes up an email message. It includes information such as the sender and recipient, subject line, date and time sent, and the actual content of the message. Essentially, it is the source code of an email.

Why is understanding email message source important?

Understanding email message source can be important for a few reasons. First, it can help with troubleshooting and identifying any issues with the email, such as missing or incorrect information. It can also provide insight into the authenticity of the email, as email headers and source code can be manipulated. Additionally, understanding email message source can be useful for analyzing patterns and trends in email communication.

How can I view an email message source?

The method for viewing an email message source may vary depending on the email client or service you are using. However, most email clients have an option to view the source code of an email. This can usually be accessed by right-clicking on the email and selecting "View Source" or a similar option. Some clients may also have a keyboard shortcut, such as Ctrl+U for Gmail.

What are some common issues that can be identified through email message source?

Some common issues that can be identified through email message source include missing or incorrect information, such as the sender's email address or date and time sent. It can also reveal if the email has been forwarded or replied to, and potentially if it has been marked as spam. Additionally, email message source can be used to determine the authenticity of an email and if it has been potentially manipulated or spoofed.

Are there any privacy concerns with viewing email message source?

There are generally no privacy concerns with viewing email message source, as it only reveals information that is already visible in the email. However, it is important to be cautious when sharing email message source with others, as it can potentially contain personal or sensitive information. Additionally, it's important to remember that email headers and source code can be manipulated, so the information may not always be completely accurate.