Understanding Newton's Second Law: Troubleshooting Dynamics Trolley Experiment

• Thread starter Clef
  • Start date
In summary, the mass of the cart must be included when calculating the force on the cart using mass times gravity because the only force acting upon it is the tension in the string.
Clef
doing the dynamics trolley exp. for Newtons 2nd law. stuck on a couple of q's, i realize the concept but i am having trouble expressing it:)

1.why is the mass in net force=ma not just equal to the mass of the cart?

2.when calculating the force on the cart using mass times gravity, why isn't the mass of the cart included?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with this experiment, perhaps you could describe it.

well, there's a pulley, with a mass (m1) attached to a string hanging off the edge of a table and a cart (m2) which is being dragged towards the edge of the table by this mass. it is quite a simple experiment and you just time how long it takes for the cart to travel a certain distace, whilst adding weights on top of it each trial to measure its acceleration. make sense?

Clef said:
well, there's a pulley, with a mass (m1) attached to a string hanging off the edge of a table and a cart (m2) which is being dragged towards the edge of the table by this mass. it is quite a simple experiment and you just time how long it takes for the cart to travel a certain distace, whilst adding weights on top of it each trial to measure its acceleration. make sense?
Perfect sense, something like this I imagine;
http://www.practicalphysics.org/imageLibrary/jpeg450/519.jpg
Now, for your questions;
Clef said:
1.why is the mass in net force=ma not just equal to the mass of the cart?
If there cart was empty you would be quite correct, m would equal the mass of the cart. However, since there are additional masses at rest on the cart; these masses must be accelerating at the same rate as the cart. Does this make sense?
Clef said:
2.when calculating the force on the cart using mass times gravity, why isn't the mass of the cart included?
Why do you think that the mass of the cart should be included?

Last edited by a moderator:
thats exactly what i meant, and to the second one , is it because the force of the mass balance accelerating because of gravity is the only force acting upon the cart?

oh and i know what you mean to the 1st question. but the question is actually asking why to get the net force for the system you need to include the mass of the cart AND the mass of the weight on the side of the pulley.

Clef said:
thats exactly what i meant, and to the second one , is it because the force of the mass balance accelerating because of gravity is the only force acting upon the cart?
Almost. If we ignore friction, there are three forces acting on the cart. There is the weight of the cart (m2g), this is opposed by the normal reaction force (provided by the table) which is equal in magnitude to the weight of the cart but opposite in direction. There is also the tension in the string (which we assume to be uniform). Now, since the normal reaction force is equal but opposite to the weight of the cart there is no net force and hence no acceleration in the vertical plane. However, in the horizontal plane the only force acting is the tension in the string, therefore an acceleration is produced. Do you follow?

I forgot to welcome you to Physics Forums before :smile:

Last edited:
Clef said:
oh and i know what you mean to the 1st question. but the question is actually asking why to get the net force for the system you need to include the mass of the cart AND the mass of the weight on the side of the pulley.
Ahh, sorry I misunderstood. Quite simply both masses are accelerating.

yes wow, very good explanation, and thankyou:D wow, i love it here already..

Clef said:
yes wow, very good explanation, and thankyou:D wow, i love it here already..
My pleasure :smile:

Related to Understanding Newton's Second Law: Troubleshooting Dynamics Trolley Experiment

1. What is a simple question?

A simple question is a question that can be answered with a short and direct response. It typically does not require further explanation or elaboration.

2. Why is asking for help important?

Asking for help allows us to gain new perspectives and insights, learn from others, and improve our understanding and problem-solving skills. It also helps us to build relationships and foster a sense of community.

3. How can I ask for help effectively?

To ask for help effectively, be specific about what you need assistance with and provide context or background information. Be polite and appreciative, and be open to feedback and suggestions.

4. What are some common barriers to asking for help?

Some common barriers to asking for help include fear of appearing incompetent or weak, lack of trust in others, and feeling like a burden. It is important to recognize and address these barriers in order to effectively seek help when needed.

5. How can I overcome my reluctance to ask for help?

To overcome reluctance to ask for help, remind yourself that seeking assistance is a sign of strength and courage. Focus on the benefits of asking for help, such as gaining new knowledge and building relationships. Also, don't be afraid to start small and gradually work your way up to asking for help with bigger or more challenging tasks.