Understanding PPM Concentrations: Get Answers Here

• Thread starter Master J
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of ppm concentration and its relation to volume and temperature. It is also mentioned that concentrations should be measured using SI units and the difference between intensive and extensive properties is brought up. The conversation ends with questioning the term "ppm concentration method".
Master J
I'm trying to get my head around the ppm concentration method. What is the conc. of 9.5mL of a 50 ppm aqueous solution? Is it still 50 ppm?

Im physics trained, so I'd rather see concentrations in SI units!

Any help appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Since when any kind of concentration can depend on volume of the sample?

It is almost like asking "if I have 9.5 mL of 100 deg F water, does it still have 100 deg F"?

Do you know what is the difference between intensive and extensive properties?

Honestly - I don't understand how someone can claim to be physics trained and not understand such a basic concept.

And what do you mean by "ppm concentration METHOD"?

Related to Understanding PPM Concentrations: Get Answers Here

1. What is a PPM concentration?

A PPM concentration, or parts per million concentration, is a unit of measurement used to express the amount of a substance present in a mixture or solution. It represents the ratio of the number of units of a particular substance to one million units of the total mixture.

2. How is PPM concentration calculated?

PPM concentration is calculated by dividing the mass or volume of the solute (the substance being measured) by the mass or volume of the solution, and then multiplying by one million. This gives the PPM concentration in terms of mass or volume per million units of the solution.

3. What is the difference between PPM and PPB?

PPM, or parts per million, and PPB, or parts per billion, are both units of measurement used to express the concentration of a substance in a mixture or solution. The main difference is that PPM represents the ratio of one part of the substance to one million parts of the solution, while PPB represents the ratio of one part of the substance to one billion parts of the solution. Therefore, PPB is a smaller unit of measurement than PPM.

4. How can PPM concentration be converted to other units of measurement?

PPM concentration can be converted to other units of measurement by using conversion factors. For example, to convert PPM to percentage, you would divide the PPM value by 10,000. To convert PPM to milligrams per liter, you would multiply the PPM value by the density of the solution.

5. What factors can affect PPM concentration?

PPM concentration can be affected by a number of factors, including the amount of solute added to the solution, the volume of the solution, and the temperature and pressure of the environment. It is important to accurately measure and record these factors in order to obtain an accurate PPM concentration.