Understanding Tensors: Finding the Value of a Tensor

In summary, the discussion revolved around finding the value of a specific tensor, F, given the values of two vectors and two basis covectors. The solution involved understanding tensors as multilinear maps and using the Kronecker product to compute the tensor product of basis covectors and vectors. The final answer was found to be 21.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a problem that I recently encountered and want to get an hint on how to solve. :)

Problem:

Find the value \(F(v,\,f)\) of the tensor \(F=e^1\otimes e_2+e^2\otimes (e_1+3e_3)\in T_{1}^{1}(V)\), where \(v=e_1+5e_2+4e_3\), \(f=e^1+e^2+e^3\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh gee, it's been forever since I did this stuff, but I think if:

$v = v^1e_1 + v^2e_2 + v^3e_3$ (more compactly, $v = v^je_j$) and

$f = f_1e^1 + f_2e^2 + f_3e^3$ then:

$e^i \otimes e_j (v,f) = v^if_j$

so in this case:

$e^1 \otimes e_2 (v,f) = 1$

$e^2 \otimes (e_1 + 3e_3) (v,f) = (5)(1 + 3) = 20$

so that $F(v,f) = 21$ (assuming I have my "ups and downs" correct...it's been awhile).

Deveno said:
Oh gee, it's been forever since I did this stuff, but I think if:

$v = v^1e_1 + v^2e_2 + v^3e_3$ (more compactly, $v = v^je_j$) and

$f = f_1e^1 + f_2e^2 + f_3e^3$ then:

$e^i \otimes e_j (v,f) = v^if_j$

so in this case:

$e^1 \otimes e_2 (v,f) = 1$

$e^2 \otimes (e_1 + 3e_3) (v,f) = (5)(1 + 3) = 20$

so that $F(v,f) = 21$ (assuming I have my "ups and downs" correct...it's been awhile).

Thanks very much for the response. But can you please explain to me how you wrote,

\[e^i \otimes e_j (v,f) = v^if_j\]

I am new to tensors, so sorry if this is an obvious question. :)

The way I learned it, a tensor is a multilinear map:

$T:\underbrace{V \times \cdots \times V}_{n\ copies} \times \underbrace{V^{\ast} \times \cdots \times V^{\ast}}_{m\ copies} \to F$

We can, by the universality of the tensor product, regard $T$ as an element of:

$\underbrace{V^{\ast} \otimes \cdots \otimes V^{\ast}}_{n\ copies} \otimes \underbrace{V \otimes \cdots \otimes V}_{m\ copies}$

(here, we are implicitly identifying $V$ with $V^{\ast\ast}$).

In this case, $m = n = 1$, which makes our tensor particularly easy to understand. In this case, we have that any such tensor is a linear combination of elementary tensors of basis covectors and vectors. So it suffices to determine what:

$e^j \otimes e_i (v,u^{\ast})$ is, for any two vectors $u,v \in V$.

Typically, $\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}$ is the standard (Euclidean) basis for $F^n$, and $\{e^1,\dots,e^n\}$ is the dual basis; that is, the linear functionals:

$\displaystyle e^j(v) = e^j\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n v^ie_i \right) = v^j$

(the linear functional that returns the $j$-th coordinate of $v$ in the standard basis).

It is typical to regard $e_i$ as an $n \times 1$ (column) matrix, and $e^j$ as a $1 \times n$ (row) matrix, in which case their tensor product is given by their Kronecker product, the $n \times n$ matrix (written below in block form):

$\begin{bmatrix}0e_i&\dots&1e_i&\dots&0e_n \end{bmatrix}$

$= E_{ij}$, which has a 1 in the $i,j$-th entry, and 0's elsewhere. That is:

$e^j \otimes e_i (v,u^{\ast}) = u^TE_{ij}v = (u^{\ast})_iv^j$

(I hope I have my indices correct...I get these backwards a lot).

In this example, we have $V = F^3$ (as near as I can surmise), with:

$v = (1,5,4)$ (in the basis of $\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}$ and

$f = (1,1,1)^{\ast}$ (in the dual basis), so that:

$e^1 \otimes e_2(v,f)$ returns the product of the first coordinate of $v$ with the second coordinate of $f$.

(Tensor products become very unwieldy to explictly compute once m and n start to get larger than 2, as the number of operations to do gets rather large).

Deveno said:
The way I learned it, a tensor is a multilinear map:

$T:\underbrace{V \times \cdots \times V}_{n\ copies} \times \underbrace{V^{\ast} \times \cdots \times V^{\ast}}_{m\ copies} \to F$

We can, by the universality of the tensor product, regard $T$ as an element of:

$\underbrace{V^{\ast} \otimes \cdots \otimes V^{\ast}}_{n\ copies} \otimes \underbrace{V \otimes \cdots \otimes V}_{m\ copies}$

(here, we are implicitly identifying $V$ with $V^{\ast\ast}$).

In this case, $m = n = 1$, which makes our tensor particularly easy to understand. In this case, we have that any such tensor is a linear combination of elementary tensors of basis covectors and vectors. So it suffices to determine what:

$e^j \otimes e_i (v,u^{\ast})$ is, for any two vectors $u,v \in V$.

Typically, $\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}$ is the standard (Euclidean) basis for $F^n$, and $\{e^1,\dots,e^n\}$ is the dual basis; that is, the linear functionals:

$\displaystyle e^j(v) = e^j\left(\sum_{i = 1}^n v^ie_i \right) = v^j$

(the linear functional that returns the $j$-th coordinate of $v$ in the standard basis).

It is typical to regard $e_i$ as an $n \times 1$ (column) matrix, and $e^j$ as a $1 \times n$ (row) matrix, in which case their tensor product is given by their Kronecker product, the $n \times n$ matrix (written below in block form):

$\begin{bmatrix}0e_i&\dots&1e_i&\dots&0e_n \end{bmatrix}$

$= E_{ij}$, which has a 1 in the $i,j$-th entry, and 0's elsewhere. That is:

$e^j \otimes e_i (v,u^{\ast}) = u^TE_{ij}v = (u^{\ast})_iv^j$

(I hope I have my indices correct...I get these backwards a lot).

In this example, we have $V = F^3$ (as near as I can surmise), with:

$v = (1,5,4)$ (in the basis of $\{e_1,e_2,e_3\}$ and

$f = (1,1,1)^{\ast}$ (in the dual basis), so that:

$e^1 \otimes e_2(v,f)$ returns the product of the first coordinate of $v$ with the second coordinate of $f$.

(Tensor products become very unwieldy to explictly compute once m and n start to get larger than 2, as the number of operations to do gets rather large).

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. It would take some time to sink in all the details you provided but I am learning slowly. :)

Related to Understanding Tensors: Finding the Value of a Tensor

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between different sets of coordinates or vectors in a multi-dimensional space. It is represented as an array of numbers and is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and data analysis.

2. How is the value of a tensor calculated?

The value of a tensor is calculated using the tensor contraction or dot product operation. This involves multiplying corresponding elements of two tensors and summing the products. The result is a single number that represents the value of the tensor in a specific coordinate system.

3. Can the value of a tensor change?

Yes, the value of a tensor can change depending on the chosen coordinate system. A tensor is a geometric object and its value is influenced by the orientation and scale of the coordinate system used to measure it.

4. What are the real-world applications of finding the value of a tensor?

Finding the value of a tensor is essential in many scientific fields. For example, in physics, tensors are used to describe the properties of matter and energy, in engineering, they are used to model stress and strain in materials, and in data analysis, they are used to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional data.

5. Are there different types of tensors?

Yes, there are different types of tensors, including scalars (0th order tensors), vectors (1st order tensors), matrices (2nd order tensors), and higher-order tensors. Each type has its own properties and is used to represent different types of relationships between data in a multi-dimensional space.