Understanding the Basics of Calculus: An Introduction

• Thread starter .ultimate
  • Start date
In summary, calculus is the study of the instantaneous infinitesimal differentials and their applications in solving problems related to rates of change and area under curves. It is a vast subject with many resources available online for beginners to study and understand its concepts.
.ultimate
Can anyone post an introduction to calculus?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your asking a bit much there my friend, entire textbooks are devoted to introducing calculus (my intro calc text is about 1500 pages). However, I am part the way through writing a brief introduction to differentiation is https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=139690". At the moment it only covers very basic undergrad math, but I am considering extending it when I have a little more free time. However, if you were to spend a few minutes with google I'm sure you could turn up some reasonable calc resources. If you are intending to learn calc on your own or are looking for a reference for college then I would highly recommend getting yourself a hard copy of a good textbook.

Edit: Courtrigrad has posted a good collection of links https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=146333"

Last edited by a moderator:
In brief here is how I would summerize calculus:

Discussing Properties of Continuous functions in the field of All real numbers (such as limit and continuity).

Tangent Lines and what they mean.

A new way of adding stuff.

There's differential calculus which addresses the tangent line problem: rates of change, instantaneousness, the derivative, etc.

...and integral calculus which addresses the area problem: antiderivatives, area under curves, revolution of solids about axes, etc.

These two fields of calculus are linked by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

Calculus is the study of the instantaneous infinitesimal differentials (or tiny bits of change). In differential Calculus it focuses of the rate of change of say, y compared to x. In Integral Calculus, it focuses of the changes in area under the curve, or any line.

.ultimate said:
Can anyone post an introduction to calculus?

I agree with most of what has been said above, although for students just starting with calculus there are a lot of good resources on the Internet.

Calculus Resources

http://dli.taftcollege.edu/streams/Calculus/calculus.htm
Lectures
for AB and BC Calculus[/url]
Calculus for Beginners
Calculus - by Benjamin Crowell
Calculus Unlimited
http://online.math.uh.edu/Math1314/index.htm
http://online.math.uh.edu/HoustonACT/videocalculus/index.html

I especially like the last two, as they present calculus in a straight-forward way with lots of examples and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links. I was just asking what calculus is, why is it used, what special about calculus, because i study in tenth standard

Pretty hard to give a definition to calculus because it can be applied in so many different ways and thus will be defined differently by different people. I would say that it is the application of the idea of limits to the tangent problem and the Riemann sum problem (area under curve) like most people here have said. The best way to find out is to pick up a calculus book at your library, you could probably glance over the intro pages and get some sort of idea as to what calculus is.

Related to Understanding the Basics of Calculus: An Introduction

What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and the accumulation of quantities. It is used to solve problems involving motion, growth, and decay.

What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the calculation of derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function. Integral calculus deals with the calculation of integrals, which represent the accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

What are the applications of Calculus?

Calculus has many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and solve problems involving optimization, motion, growth, and decay.

Who invented Calculus?

Calculus was independently invented by two mathematicians, Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz, in the late 17th century. Their work laid the foundation for modern calculus and they are both considered the founders of this branch of mathematics.

What are the prerequisites for learning Calculus?

A strong understanding of algebra and trigonometry is necessary for learning Calculus. It is also helpful to have a conceptual understanding of functions and their graphs. Some knowledge of limits and derivatives may also be beneficial.