Understanding the 'Observer Effect' in Relation to Reality and Mental Health

• Thread starter Rajkovic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle with severe depression after watching philosophical videos about reality, specifically referencing Deepak Chopra and quantum physics. Some argue that reality is an illusion and nothing truly exists, while others believe that our brains create physical things and that the space between molecules is empty. The speaker expresses feeling lost and asks if the "observer effect" serves as proof for these ideas.
Rajkovic
Please someone help me!

I am suffering from severe depression after seeing philosophical videos (deepak chopra is one of them) about reality. Many of them talking that reality is an illusion and nothing exists, and used quantum physics as a reference (the observer effect). Others simply say the reality is nothing but illusion and nothing really exists, It's just that our brain creates physical things, and that the space between molecules are "empty", how could something be solid?
I'm really lost, I do not know where to go.
All of this bothers me a lot - '

Is the 'observer effect' a proof to all of this crazy stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajkovic said:
I am suffering from severe depression

I highly recommend you see a professional medical provider if you feel you are depressed. Thread locked.

Related to Understanding the 'Observer Effect' in Relation to Reality and Mental Health

1. What is the observer effect?

The observer effect is a phenomenon in which the act of observing or measuring something can actually alter the thing being observed. This is because the presence of an observer can change the behavior or outcome of a situation.

2. How does the observer effect relate to reality?

The observer effect suggests that our perception of reality can be influenced by our own observations and interpretations. This means that our understanding of reality is not objective, but rather subjective based on our own perceptions and biases.

3. What impact does the observer effect have on mental health?

The observer effect can have a significant impact on mental health as it highlights the power of our thoughts and beliefs on our perception of reality. This can contribute to the development of mental health conditions such as anxiety and depression, as well as impact how we cope with and respond to challenging situations.

4. Can the observer effect be controlled or minimized?

While the observer effect cannot be completely eliminated, there are ways to minimize its impact. This includes being aware of our own biases and thought patterns, practicing mindfulness and critical thinking, and seeking out multiple perspectives and sources of information.

5. How can understanding the observer effect benefit us?

Understanding the observer effect can benefit us by allowing us to become more self-aware and reflective of our thoughts and behaviors. It can also help us to better understand and empathize with others, as well as approach situations with a more open and objective mindset.