Understanding the Placement of Lanthanides and Actinides on the Periodic Table

In summary, the lanthanides and actinides are not part of the groups 4-18 on the periodic table. They are instead placed below the main table, aligned with groups 4-18. This may depend on the table you are looking at, as some show them as not being part of those groups.
GotMex?
I'm designing an online periodic table of the elements and I have a question about the lanthanide and actinide families. I notice that all periodic tables put them below the main table, aligned with groups 4-18. Does this mean that they fit into those groups? Or is it just placed like that to look neat.

I'm thinking that they are not part of those groups since a table I found with inline F-block elements shows them as not being part of them. I wish I could recall my chemistry courses' teachings but it was a while ago so I can't remember. I just wanted to make sure before I continue since depending on the answer, my design will vary a bit. Thanks.

Here's a link to a table so you don't have to search for one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table_%28standard%29"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
much like there is a gap between magesium and aluminum there is a gap between stronium (Sr) and yttrium (Y) but instead of making the periodic table really wide they put that section below the rest of the table. When talking about groups I believe that generally they are not included with any group (except I have seen Lanthanum and Actinium in group 3) since they are mostly rare elements and many are unstable. The groups are generally used as a rough comparision between elements for reactions and such stuff, but those elements tend not to follow any general pattern. If they were labled as groups it would probably be 3A, 3B, etc starting with Cerium and Thorium.

Sweet, thanks for the info. This should make for a harder to design CSS periodic table hehe. I was hoping i was going to be able to just group them into the other groups... oh well.

Related to Understanding the Placement of Lanthanides and Actinides on the Periodic Table

1. What is the Periodic Table and why is it important?

The Periodic Table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements based on their atomic structure and properties. It is important because it provides a systematic way to organize and understand the elements, their properties, and their relationships to one another.

2. How many elements are there in the Periodic Table?

As of 2020, there are 118 known elements in the Periodic Table.

3. How are elements arranged in the Periodic Table?

The elements are arranged in order of increasing atomic number, from left to right and top to bottom. They are also grouped into periods (rows) and groups (columns) based on their similar properties.

4. What do the numbers and letters on the Periodic Table mean?

The numbers on the Periodic Table represent the atomic number of each element, which is the number of protons in the nucleus. The letters represent the element's symbol, which is usually derived from its name.

5. What is the significance of the different colors and sections on the Periodic Table?

The colors and sections on the Periodic Table represent different categories and properties of the elements. For example, the blue elements are gases, the green elements are metals, and the yellow elements are metalloids. The sections also show trends in properties such as atomic size, electronegativity, and reactivity.