Understanding the Visibility of the ISS: Physics Explained in Simple Terms

• I
  • Thread starter Phlogiston
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
In summary: Agreed. The total amount of light reflected by the airplane is similar to the amount reflected by the sky during the day while the ISS reflects a lot more light compared to the night sky. It is similar to why it is hard looking out of a window at night... the bright streetlights outside make it hard to see things in the room.
Phlogiston
I have a friend who I was trying to explain why we can see the ISS. Unfortunately though I don't have a good enough physics background to adequately answer his question, which was:

"Why can I not see a plane once it reaches about 80 km away, yet I can see the ISS, at over 250 km away"

This is my rather un-academic and probably wrong answer:

You cannot always see the ISS very well. Some times it's very dim. The occasion above was 10 mins after last light. In the Western sky it was very bright but as it went East it became dimmer as the amount of light it was getting reduced. This is what differentiates it from an aircraft. Aircraft at night have flashing lights and so have a near constant luminosity. During the day there is a lot more light, and so the atmosphere diffracts a lot of that light, and it gets mixed up with the "noise", especially at the extremes of view, similar to how you cannot see stars during the day. Bare in mind also that the ISS is a bright object. Its almost completely white with reflective metals or panels on it, While planets are not.

Can anyone help me provide a better, more academic, yet understandable answer.

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a good straightforward answer. Another factor is that to see a plane 80 km away requires looking more or less horizontally through 80 km of fairly dense atmosphere, whereas looking straight up the air density drops off rapidly, and the amount of dust, haze, and water vapor even more so as they're mostly confined to the lowest 10 or 15 km.
The ISS is actually so bright under full solar illumination that it can be seen in broad daylight if you know where to look. There's a website called Heavens-Above that shows how to spot an assortment of satellites as well as comets and whatnot.

Likes davenn
skystare said:
That's a good straightforward answer. Another factor is that to see a plane 80 km away requires looking more or less horizontally through 80 km of fairly dense atmosphere, whereas looking straight up the air density drops off rapidly, and the amount of dust, haze, and water vapor even more so as they're mostly confined to the lowest 10 or 15 km.
The ISS is actually so bright under full solar illumination that it can be seen in broad daylight if you know where to look. There's a website called Heavens-Above that shows how to spot an assortment of satellites as well as comets and whatnot.

Thank you I didn't consider that. But now it seems obvious.

skystare said:

The NASA app does this as well and will send you alerts when things are going to show up in your area.

-Dave K

Isn't contrast and height above the horizon also a factor? A plane is low enough that it can't be in a dark sky while still illuminated by the sun below our horizon. The sun would still be lighting the sky.

I seem to recall seeing planes brightly lit by the reflection of the setting sun, but the sky is still fairly bright, so not a lot of contrast.

And a +1 to the heavens above site. Great for tracking Iridium flares too!

Likes Jamison Lahman
Of course, yes, that's probably the greatest factor. Against the black night sky I'd bet that even a little Cessna at ISS height would be a visible spark.

NTL2009 said:
Isn't contrast and height above the horizon also a factor? A plane is low enough that it can't be in a dark sky while still illuminated by the sun below our horizon. The sun would still be lighting the sky.

I seem to recall seeing planes brightly lit by the reflection of the setting sun, but the sky is still fairly bright, so not a lot of contrast.

And a +1 to the heavens above site. Great for tracking Iridium flares too!
Agreed. The total amount of light reflected by the airplane is similar to the amount reflected by the sky during the day while the ISS reflects a lot more light compared to the night sky. It is similar to why it is hard looking out of a window at night in a room with the lights turned on.

Related to Understanding the Visibility of the ISS: Physics Explained in Simple Terms

1. How can we see the ISS at night?

The ISS can be seen at night because it reflects sunlight as it orbits the Earth. This makes it appear as a bright moving light in the sky.

2. When is the best time to see the ISS?

The best time to see the ISS is usually at dawn or dusk when the sun is just below the horizon and the sky is dark enough to see the bright light of the space station.

3. How do we know when and where to look for the ISS?

There are websites and apps, such as NASA's Spot the Station, that provide information on when and where the ISS will be visible from your location. You can also sign up for email or text alerts to be notified when the ISS will be passing over your area.

4. Can we see the ISS with the naked eye?

Yes, the ISS is visible to the naked eye as it is one of the brightest objects in the night sky. However, using binoculars or a telescope can enhance the viewing experience.

5. How fast does the ISS move across the sky?

The ISS orbits the Earth at a speed of approximately 17,500 miles per hour, which translates to about 5 miles per second. This makes it appear as a fast-moving object in the night sky.